[iPhone] Lose weight with Foodiet, a health app that’s more than just a calorie counterMarch 29, 2013 0 Email article | Print article
Male or female, most of my friends are trying to lose weight right now, and they’re all using iOS apps to track their dieting progress and daily calorie intake. Apps like SparkPeople and MyFitnessPal are very popular choices. But just because an app is popular, does that mean it is the best? I may have stumbled onto an app that is better at these two popular dieting apps. And unlike these other health-conscious apps, Foodiet isn’t about counting calories: it’s about making responsible choices.
What is it and what does it do
Foodiet is an app that lets users count calories and control their weight loss.
- All listed foods have a detailed calorie breakdown, representing the percentages of carbohydrate, fat and protein in the food.
- Excellent design
- More than just an app for counting calories, Foodiet also provides nutrition tips and education to keep your body in balance
- Items are graded based on how diet-friendly they are, with grades from A+ to E
- Lets users know if an item has added sugar (great for dieters and diabetics alike)
- Also alerts users to foods with high amounts of saturated fats and sodium
- App has percentages makeups of fat, carbs, and protein in a given food…but not the actual calorie amounts in a serving!
- No calorie tracker
- Many foods do no contain brand-specific information that could alter the “grade” the food gets
Counting calories isn’t for everyone. For those who hate to be constantly searching for calorie info and typing it into their iPhones, a reference-style approach to watching your food intake may be less fiddly and stressful. Items in the database are graded based on how diet-friendly they are: A+ is the best, while E-grade foods should be avoided by those who wish to lose weight.
This app is smartly designed, and very easy to navigate. It is simple to see what foods are high in fat, have added sugar, or contain high amounts of vitamins or fiber. All food has been categorized under Common Foods, Popular Food Brands, Restaurants & Chains, and Supermarkets, making it really easy to find what you looking for by browsing.
At its heart, Foodiet is a health and fitness app that is best used when dining out at places where nutritional information is hard to come by. This app can help people make healthy eating choices, and it has a large database of restaurants to review: both national and regional chains are easy to review for nutritional information.
Conclusion and download link
If you’re tired of counting calories, this helpful guide to foods that are healthy and unhealthy could be quite useful. However, adding a calorie tracker would give this app more usefulness and a wider user base. It would be great if this functionality could be added for the users who want it.
Version reviewed: 1.0.1
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, iOS version 4.3 or later
Download size: 4.2 MB