[iPhone] Clone, augment, and ghost yourself with Split Pic, a photo manipulation appMay 5, 2013 0 Email article | Print article
If you can’t help but laugh when you see pictures of tourists taking pictures where they appear to be holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa, then you probably like trick photography. If you want an app that will let you clone or augment your subject, you should check out Split Pic.
What is it and what does it do
Split Pic lets users take 2+ pictures and then either blend them together, or create a sharp delineation between them. You can use this app to create a photo frame effect, clone your portrait subjects, create “ghosts” of yourself using filter effects, or augment your body with extra limbs using creative camera angles.
- Great array of filters, splitting tools, and blenders (some filters are unlike anything I’ve seen in any other photo editing app!)
- Share your creations to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Email, or MMS
- Newest version of the Split Pic app (Version 2.0.2) offers bug fixes and a countdown timer sound, plus a new “8-bit” effect that’s really creative!
- Helpful video tutorial
- Really aggressive ads: banner ads, plus pop-up ads…and the pop-ups come two at a time in some cases! Pop-ups also fill the whole screen at every start-up, or whenever you re-enter the app while it is still running. These can be removed via in-app purchase.
- Controls take some getting used to, especially if you skip the tutorial
- Split Pic only lets you blend 2-4 images together
- Annoying delay of up to 4 seconds when trying to capture an image
In addition to some of the applications discussed above, Split Pic could be used to put your head on someone (or something) else’s body. The developers also suggest using it to “meld” faces together to see what your kids might look like, or using the app to “zoom in with one frame then zoom out on the others to make something stand out.”
The controls are just alright. They feel clunky at times, despite all kinds of helpful tools. It feels awkward when trying to go back to the main menu from a current project. And it doesn’t help matters that some of the controls just aren’t responsive: constantly having to tap to close a pop-up ad is annoying, but having to do it twice in a row is worse.
Despite some minor annoyances, Split Pic is still a really fun app. I love the sheer number and creativity behind the various filters. Of special note is the 8-bit app, which makes everything look a bit Minecraft-y, and also the “Bad” filter that turns everything into line art. Airbag is good as well, as is the Twice filter…though the latter could use some improvements to contrast.
Conclusion and download link
Over 4.5 million people have tried Split Pic, so there’s clearly a broad appeal here. If you want to meld 2 or more pics into one, this photo app makes it super simple… and super fun.
Version reviewed: 2.0.2
Supported OS: Requires iOS 5.1 or later.
Download size: 27.3 MB