[Windows] Convert your animated GIF to an ASCII art animation with ASCII AnimatorJune 4, 2013 3 Email article | Print article
Do you like ASCII codes? Well, I can’t when it appears in my text to spoil my reading. ASCII animation can be fun though! I remember when I saw the first ASCII animation online, I was amazed. If you would like to have fun with ASCII animated images, ASCII Animator is a GUI tool that can do that job for you as long as you have a GIF image/animation in hand.
What is it and what does it do
ASCII Animator is unique, funny and free software to convert GIF image/animation to an ASCII art GIF image/animation.
- Very simple to use (read discussion for more details)
- Works on both GIF image/animation
- Created HTML image/animation can be embedded directly onto webpages
- Black-n-white or color GIF image/animation generated at will
- Fails at times
- Requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later
ASCII Animator extracts a GIF image into frames, then converts each frame to an ASCII art, and encodes the ASCII art into a new animated ASCII art GIF image. The conversion can be accomplished in 4 steps:
- Browse for Source GIF image (or Files > Add source GIF image).
- Choose Output Directory (or Files > Set output directory).
- Go to Settings > Settings … and select Output type. You can select one of the 3 output types: Animated ASCII Art (.html), Animated ASCII Art (.gif), or Coloured Animated ASCII Art (.gif). You have options like Font … type, style, Size; Script, Strikeout, Underline. You can also change Characters number in every 100 pixel width (1-100) (default 50).
- Hit Convert button (or Files > Convert). When the conversion is done, you can hit Close button (or Files > Close).
ASCII Animator needs Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later; therefore, if you don’t like that, you cannot use this program. This software uses ~ 5 MB of RAM when idle but the usage of RAM may vary depending on the output format (colored GIF output takes more). Take a look at one sample conversion:
Conclusion and download link
I unreservedly recommend this software to anyone who wants to enjoy ASCII images, ‘specially the animated ones. Just chill!
Version reviewed: 1.8
Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Download size: 1.33 MB
VirusTotal malware scan results: 0/42
Is it portable? No