How to remove or block ads from uTorrent on Windows [Guide]July 29, 2013 8 Email article | Print article
uTorrent has been one of the most popular BitTorrent clients over the years, but ever since the BitTorrent company bought it, it has lost a little bit of popularity… mainly due to the ads they put into the program. This guide will show you how to remove or block the ads in uTorrent and enjoy your (hopefully legal) torrenting without worrying about ads from Zoosk and crappy freeware games.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
This guide is for Windows users of uTorrent 3.3 or higher. This guide applies to all versions of Windows running uTorrent 3.3 or higher, including Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.) If you haven’t yet upgraded to uTorrent 3.3 or higher, then this guide is not for you because previous versions of uTorrent did not have ads.
HOW TO REMOVE OR BLOCK ADS FROM UTORRENT ON WINDOWS
To remove or block ads from uTorrent 3.3 and higher on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, do the following:
- This little trick is actually done right inside uTorrent itself, so the first step is to open up the program.
- Once the program is running, you must click on the Options menu, then choose Preferences, and then select Advanced.
- After that, you will see a filter box where you must type “offers” (without the quotes).
- After that, you will see two items titles: “offers.left_rail_offer_enabled” and “offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled”. Set both of these to False by clicking on each one and then selecting the false radio button as pictured below.
- In order for these changes to actually take effect, though, you will need to restart the program by selecting the Exit option from the 1 menu and then opening the program again. Take note to close the program clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner will not usually work in most cases, as it only minimizes the program to the taskbar, so going the File menu route is usually your best option.
- Done! As you can see in the screenshot below, no ads!
Now you should be torrenting with arguably the best client available on Windows without annoying ads. Enjoy — and keep it legal!