How to uninstall or remove Amazon Shopping Lens from Ubuntu [Guide]September 13, 2013 0 Email article | Print article
Before We Begin
As Amazing Shopping Lens has only started showing up in Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04, this guide will only work with Ubuntu 12.10 and higher.
For this guide, we’ll need to use a terminal command. Open a terminal by searching the Unity dash for ‘terminal’.
How To Remove OR UNINSTALL Amazon Shopping Lens From Ubuntu
- Inside the terminal window that you just opened, enter the command below.
sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
- When the command is finished executing, restart your PC. When you log back in, you’ll no longer see Amazon search results inside your Unity dash.
How To Disable All Online Content In Unity Dash
- Open the Unity dash and search for ‘privacy’.
- After searching in the dash for ‘privacy’ and icon that has a clock with a yellow, circular arrow will show up. Click on it.
- When the Privacy window is opened, look for ‘Include online search results’ and click the slider to OFF.
- After selecting the OFF option for ‘Include online search results,’ go to the very bottom right of the Privacy window, and click the slider next to ‘Record Activity’ so it’s in the OFF position.
Ubuntu is a great Linux distribution, but with the last two releases, some people have been questioning Canonical’s privacy motives. With this guide, you’ve learned exactly how to gain your privacy back on your favorite operating system. Enjoy!