Curious about cloud based computing? Enter Jolicloud, a cloud based Linux desktop environment designed to be elegant and always in sync. With this guide, you’ll learn exactly how you can install the Jolicloud desktop environment on Ubuntu.
Before We Begin
Jolicloud, like ChromeOS is a cloud based desktop. This means that if you install Jolicloud on all of your Ubuntu machines, your apps and files will remain in sync with each other.
This guide is accomplished with terminal commands. Open a terminal by opening the Unity dash and searching for ‘terminal’. This guide works on all versions of Ubuntu.
Jolicloud makes use of HTML5.
How To Install Jolicloud Desktop Environment On Ubuntu
- To install Jolicloud, a software repository needs to be enabled. To do this, enter the command into your terminal window.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jolicloud-team/ppa
- After enabling the software repository, your software sources need to be updated to reflect the changes that have been made. Do this by entering the command below.
sudo apt-get update
- After updating software sources to reflect changes, Jolicould can finally be installed.
sudo apt-get install jolicloud-desktop-environment
- When Jolicloud finishes installing inside the terminal, log out of your current session. After logging out, you’ll be taken to lightdm (a login manager). Click the Ubuntu logo (if you’re using Unity) and you’ll be taken to a section that says ‘Select Desktop Environment’. Select Jolicloud, enter your password and press the enter key.
How To Uninstall The Jolicloud Desktop Environment On Ubuntu
- If you wish to remove Jolicloud from your system, log out of Jolicloud and into another DE and open a terminal window. Enter the commands below to uninstall it.
sudo apt-get install -y ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:jolicloud-team/ppa
sudo apt-get autoremove
It’s very clear that technology is moving more towards the cloud each year, and with Jolicloud, you too can enjoy cloud based computing on your favorite Linux based operating system.