Nowadays, a lot of people are obsessed with taking selfies and selcas. It’s like every now and then you get to see one of your Facebook and Instagram friends posting their newest self-portrait shots. Apparently, the whole idea of taking a selfie is to get a close-up picture of yourself but did you know that you can actually make your selfies look more interesting by transforming them into awesome cartoons and funny sketches? Speaking of which, there’s a particular app that can do this type of thing and it’s called MomentCam.
What Is It and What Does It Do
MomentCam is a free camera and photo editing app for Android that is apparently intended to instantly transform your photos into cartoons or cartoon-like sketches. In other words, you can use this app to take a photo of yourself (or your friend) and then you transform that photo into a sketch that literally puts your “cartoonized” face into the spotlight. The sketches are pre-loaded so you can just choose among the app’s wide selection of designs. For sure, you will be surprised to see how well your face matches those awesome caricatures and you can even choose your preferred type of art style.
- Simple, responsive and easy to use UI
- Features a built-in camera app
- You can load a photo directly from your camera or you can simply choose one from your media gallery or SD card
- Features a wide variety of cartoons and sketches and you can even go to the app’s Library to download more designs
- You can edit your “cartoonized” face by choosing your preferred face shape, glasses, eyebrow and hair style
- Provides a simple brush tool that you can use to doodle on your sketches
- You can save your sketches to your MomentCam Portfolio and SD card
- Built-in sharing tools – you can easily share your sketches to your friends via Facebook, Twitter, Weibo, WeChat, etc.
- No option for adding a custom background
- Once the sketch is generated, you cannot move or adjust the face in such a way that it would blend more with the sketch
- Needs more sharing options – you cannot directly share your sketches via Bluetooth, Line, Instagram or e-mail
The concept behind MomentCam is quite refreshing since there haven’t been a lot of decent apps that could instantly transform your photos into cartoons and sketches. Moreover, most of the photo editing apps that are available in the Play Store are focused on providing cool collages, frames, stickers, filters and photo effects.
Needless to say, MomentCam is great for giving your self-portrait shots (aka selfies or selcas) a different twist. The photos that you can upload does not necessarily need to be your own, it could be a close-up photo of your friend or even your dog! It’s just a matter of unleashing your creativity and once you’re done creating your sketch, you can immediately share it to your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WeChat and even on Weibo.
When using the app, do keep in mind that your photo must properly show your face or else, you won’t be able to get a good result. Furthermore, you are free to choose the type of sketch or design that you like. The app offers a lot of designs and you can even download more from its library and there are sketches that are based on different themes and events. You can also make your sketch look more interesting by changing its art style to classic, ballpoint, blackboard, sticker, old painting, ink or black and white. You can also use the app’s built-in brush tool to add some cool doodles to your sketches. You are also free to sign your sketches before posting them online.
So far, I haven’t really encountered any serious problems with this app. It works great, it’s very interesting and it lets you have fun. Of course, there are certain aspects wherein the app falls short but there’s still a lot of room left for it to polish its features and functions. Come to think of it, the app has already gone a long way and it is really good to know that its developer has finally managed to release the app’s English version.
Conclusion and Download Link
The English version of MomentCam for Android is definitely worth trying. It’s a really fun app plus it offers a wide selection of designs so you’ll never get bored. It basically has its own way of making your photos look more interesting. It’s just that it could have been better if there’s an option that will allow its users to choose a custom background but aside from its minor drawbacks, I highly recommend this app especially to those who are currently hooked to taking selfies and wacky close-up photos.
Version reviewed: 2.3.6
Requires: Android 2.3 and up
Download size: 23MB