Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. Ashraf and dotTech are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- First off, if your HTC First’s bootloader is not unlocked, head over to the official HTCDev site to unlock it.
- Download ‘WinDroid Toolkit‘.
PART 1: HOW TO FLASH A CUSTOM RECOVERY ON THE HTC FIRST
To flash a custom recovery on the HTC first, follow the steps below:
- Make sure that USB debugging is enabled on your device. You can find this option in Menu, Settings, then Developer options.
- Launch the WinDroid Toolkit executable that you downloaded in the previous section.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
- In WinDroid Toolkit, click on TWRP. This can be found under the Flash Recovery section.
- Follow the steps to flash TWRP.
- Reboot your device.
- You have successfully flashed a custom recovery on your device, congrats! Move on to the next section.
PART 2: HOW TO ROOT THE HTC FIRST
Now that you’ve flashed a custom recovery, you are now ready to root the HTC First. Follow the steps below:
- One again, launch WinDroid Toolkit.
- Select ‘Flash Superuser’. This can be found under the ‘Gain Root’ section.
- Follow the steps presented to begin the flashing process.
- Reboot your device
- Your device has successfully been rooted, congrats!
To verify that you’ve successfully rooted the HTC First, you can download Root Checker from the Play Store to verify it. Enjoy your rooted HTC First!