Free ESET NOD32 Antivirus! (Requires ten minutes of your time.)December 17, 2010 19 Email article | Print article
Not satisfied with your current anti-malware program? Already checked out the free bad boys but still can’t find a good fit? Stop watching pron. Enter, stage right, ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus is a security program that provides users with anti-malware protection. Here are the key benefits and key features of ESET NOD32 Antivirus (as per the developer):
- Keeps you safe from viruses, spyware, trojans, password stealers and other malware threats
- Stops most new threats proactively, well before other vendors have issued a signature, maximizing your defense against new and unknown threats
- Scans and cleans Internet traffic and email, even when it’s SSL-encrypted, so your email is always safe
- Stops threats from entering through removable devices so you can share files with confidence
- Integrated SysInspector and SysRescue simplify system diagnosis and recovery
- Self defense prevents malware from degrading your level of protection
- Tiny signature updates happen discretely as needed and won’t bog down your system
Smarter Scanner – Threats don’t always enter your network in ways you expect. ESET NOD32 Antivirus inspects SSL-encrypted communication channels like HTTPS and POP3S and intelligently scans compressed files to find hidden threats other products miss. Proactive protection begins at the earliest point in system startup to ensure your computer is always secure.
Clean and Safe Email – Email scanning for Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail, and other POP3/IMAP mail clients, ensuring your email is free of viruses and other threats.
Removable Media Security – Threats can enter your PC from removable media such as USB thumb drives. For self-running media, ESET NOD32 Antivirus scans autorun.inf and associated files when the medium is inserted, in addition to scanning any file on any removable device when it is accessed, or during a full-scan of the media. Power users can adjust ESET NOD32 Antivirus to perform additional levels of scanning on removable media.
System Tools – ESET SysInspector and ESET SysRescue simplify diagnosing and cleaning of infected systems by allowing deep scans of system processes to find hidden threats, and creating bootable rescue CD/DVD or USB drives to help you repair an infected computer.
Self Defense – ESET NOD32 Antivirus has built-in technology to prevent malicious software from corrupting or disabling it, so you can rest assured your system is always protected.
But hey, all that out the front door. Features are meaningless if protection is sub-par. Thankfully, ESET NOD32 Antivirus’ protection is anything but sub-par. In AV-Comparatives’ latest on-demand tests in August and latest proactive/retroactive tests in Novemeber ESET NOD32 Antivirus ranked among the top tier programs scoring 98.6% and 56% detection rates respectively; and with “few” false positives to boot. While dotTech has never reviewed ESET NOD32 Antivirus, based on AV-Comparatives’ findings all I have to say about ESET NOD32 Antivirus is this: Impressive, no?
That said, typically ESET NOD32 Antivirus would cost you $39.99 for a one year subscription. However, with a little of your time and patience, you can get ESET NOD32 Antivirus for free! (The promotion details don’t specify how long the license will be for, but I am guessing it will probably be for one year.) How exactly does one get ESET NOD32 Antivirus for free? One enters ESET Youtube Contest.
ESET Youtube Contest is a contest ESET is running in which users must submit short 15 second videos to Youtube “promoting online safety”. (A video that can literally take only ten minutes to make.) There will be, of course, selected winners of the contest but everyone that enters gets ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Cybersecurity for Mac:
Prizes (See official contest rules for judging details):
The video selected as the Grand Prize winner via popular vote will receive the following:
- Winning video will run in ESET ad space in Times Square.
- Winner to receive trip for two to New York to see winning entry. Trip will include round-trip airfare, hotel accommodations for three nights and gift certificate for dinner at a predetermined restaurant.
Entry that has received the most views will receive a $1,000 gift card from either Visa or American Express.
First 20 Participants:
The first 20 participants will receive a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
All entrants receive an ESET License Key, either to ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Cybersecurity for Mac.
The contest began on December 8, 2010 and will end on January 17, 2011. The winners will be announced February 2, 2011, which is presumably when all participants will get their ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Cybersecurity for Mac.
So are you still interested? The following are the official rules on how to enter, and a link to the contest page to read up on the official contest rules and terms for participation (be sure to read up on how you must be 18 or older to enter):
How to Enter:
- Read the Official Contest Rules and Terms of Participation. You must read them and agree to them.
- Record a 15 second, silent video promoting online safety. The video must not exceed 15 seconds in length. There is no required minimum length.
- Create a YouTube account if you don’t already have one.
- Upload video to your YouTube channel. Be sure to tag “ESET” in your video. We will add all contest entries to www.youtube.com/esetusa (hereafter referred to as the “You Tube Channel”).
- To be eligible for one of the Grand Prizes, videos must have “ESET” in the title, as well as use the logo in the video. Entrants must also subscribe to the ESET, LLC You Tube Channel.
Good luck to everyone!