Do you use more than one power plan? I normally use Power Saver, knowing that the computer will switch off the monitor, then the hard disk, then go to sleep and eventually go into hibernation if I get called away or distracted.
However, when carrying out computer intensive activities, i.e. video rendering, disk imaging – anytime I don’t want the computer to shutdown, I use High Performance.
Up to recently, to change the power plan required me to open the Control Panel, then Power Options, and then select the required plan. Now I have found a free gadget which the Developer claims:
– Shows the active power plan with an icon and a tool tip in the system try
– Right click the icon to get the list of available plans and change it
– Lists all plans even the user defined ones
– Always updates status even when the plan is changed externally
– The list is always updated with latest additions/removals
– Automatic management of power scheme depending on the power line AC/battery
– Set a plan when Battery Life % is less than a value
The application is only for Win 7 and is in beta, but I have used it fairly intensively for the last 5 weeks with absolutely no problems.
I can only strongly recommend it. It can be found at:
Note: It needs no registration and there is no hint of a donation request. The guy has produced a neat little program and deserves support. Go have look!