Bulk Rename Utility is an easy to use file rename program (a.k.a. file renamer). Renaming multiple files has never been easier! It has a small memory footprint so it can be left running all the time without consuming all your memory. It started as a freeware Visual Basic tool, but as its popularity has grown it has been completely rewritten in C++ to be robust and lightweight – and very, very fast! It can easily handle folders/discs containing well over 100,000 entries… and it can batch rename 1,000s of files in seconds.
The software is freeware and gets downloaded very frequently. It has a large base of regular users. Most of the features have originated from other users’ suggestions. As such, it is continually being enhanced and improved.
As well as being “recommended” by a number of web sites, Bulk Rename Utility has also appeared on many magazine cover-discs, from Brazil to Sweden.
If you have a suggestion for a new feature, get in touch and it could appear in a future release of the software!
Bulk Rename Utility looks complicated, but it’s really very simple. (The documentation is extensive, by the way, for those interested in reading user manuals.)
Why is this tool useful? There are many uses of a bulk renamer. Say you have about 5,000 files without a file extension; Bulk Rename Utility can help you apply extensions of these files. Or, you want to replace/delete text from the filenames of those same files. Bulk Rename Utility can do this also.
The following is a quick 8 step walkthrough to using Bulk Rename Utility:
- Select the folder you wish to start from (e.g. My Documents).
- Select the folders/files you wish to rename (Hint: Shift and Ctrl are your friends).
- Select what you would like to do. For example:
- Match and replace a certain string of letters, optionally including extentions. (RegEx1 also known as regular expressions.)
- Insert parameters (example – Match: Adam, Replace: Eve)
- Optionally include all files and subfolders in Selections.
- Optionally create a new filepath for the output files.
- Click Rename.
For those geeks out there that like feeling geeky, there is a command line version of this software available too; and Bulk Rename Utility has portable versions (for both x86 and x64 versions).
Version Reviewed: v220.127.116.11 (x64)
Virustotal Report: 0/42