Not satisfied with Dropbox or any of the other cloud storage services? Looks like there is a new cloud service in town; and to encourage you to use them, they are willing to give you 10 GB of storage for free, for life.
Pogoplug, the aforementioned new cloud storage service, offers everyone the ability to get 5 GB of storage space for free. However, for a limited time (until November 16, 2011 11:59 PM PST), Pogoplug has teamed up with CNET to offer everyone 10 GB of cloud storage space for free forever.
Here are the main features of Pogoplug, as advertised by them:
- Store: Automatically upload photos and videos from your mobile phone to your Pogoplug Cloud–no sync required.
- Share: Instantly share anything in your cloud through email, Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Create shared folders and collaborate with friends and colleagues.
- Stream: Stream HD videos, photos and music from your Pogoplug Cloud to your phone.
Looking at the features list, nothing pops out as being unique to Pogoplug. So why go with Pogoplug over the competition? Aside from the fact they are willing to give you 10 GB of space without you having to pay a dime, I don’t know. Seeing as I have 20 GB free storage on Dropbox, I personally won’t be using Pogoplug but others may be interested. (See this article on how to get an additional 1 GB free space, on top of the customary 2 GB, on Dropbox.)
Update: Please note the “free for life” part is a bit deceptive. Apparently Pogoplug reserves the right to disable any free account that is inactive for 90 days:
Pogoplug reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, if a Free Account is inactive for ninety (90) days, then Pogoplug may delete any or all of your files on the Free Account without providing additional notice.
Thanks PCbasics for pointing this out.
If you are interested in Pogoplug and its free 10 GB, you can get it by doing the following:
- Visit the CNET promotion page and click the big red button that says Please log-in or register to get the deal!:
- Log in with your CNET, Facebook, Google, or Yahoo account:
If you don’t already have a CNET account and don’t have/don’t want to use your Facebook, Google, or Yahoo account, you can create a free CNET account by clicking the Create one now link located at the bottom of the popup.
- Once you have logged in the promotion page will automatically refresh and you should see a Buy Now button — click on it:
- Clicking on Buy Now will open a registration page on Pogoplug’s website where you need to register with an e-mail address and password (the e-mail address need not be the same one used to log into CNET — it can be different):
- Once you have entered an e-mail address and password, accepted Pogoplug’s terms and conditions, and clicked the CREATE MY CLOUD button you are done. You will be redirected to Pogoplug’s website interface from where you can start using Pogoplug, which involves (optionally) downloading Pogoplug’s software for your computer and phone:
[Note: A download will automatically popup when you are redirected to Pogoplug's website interface. The download is for Pogoplug's computer program. You can download it, if you want, but you don't have to.]
Use the space wisely, young grasshoppers.