The following is a list of Outpost Security Suite Pro features, as per the developer:
- Anti-Malware module (Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware) with greater detection accuracy
- Two-way firewall for secure network connections
- Proactive Protection module to preemptively block unknown and zero-day threats
- SmartDecision technology to facilitate secure decision-making
- Web control with fast web content filtering to protect your PC from web-borne threats
- Anti-spam to automatically keep your inbox junk-free
- System and Applications Guard to keep installed software and OS protected
- Self-protection technology to maintain continuity of protection
- The 4th generation of SmartScan optimization technology for fast subsequent malware scans
- USB virus protection to prevent malware which spreads via USB devices
- Program activity tracker to review file and registry activity in real time
- Entertainment mode (for games and video) and Auto-Learn 2.0 (for beginners)
Anyone that has followed dotTech for a while knows I am a huge fan of Outpost Firewall: Outpost Firewall has been featured as dotTech’s choice of best free firewall and I personally use Outpost Firewall Pro to protect my computer. Outpost Security Suite (which has a Free and Pro version; Outpost Security Suite Free has replaced the now-depreciated Outpost Firewall Free) is a product that takes Outpost Firewall and builds upon it by adding more features such as anti-virus/anti-malware protection. More specifically, as you can see in the features listed shown above, Outpost Security Suite Pro’s main features are firewall, anti-malware, zero-day threat protection, web surfing protection, and anti-spam protection.
If it isn’t obvious by now, let me put it plainly: In my book Outpost Firewall is one of the best, if not the best, firewalls out there. However, I am not as convinced with the anti-malware features of Outpost Security Suite Pro. It is not that the anti-malware features of Outpost Security Suite Pro are crap; they aren’t: Outpost Security Suite Pro continually gets the Virus Bulletin VB100 award, which shows it is a viable option for anti-malware protection. Rather, I feel there are better anti-malware software out there.
As shown in Virus Bulletin’s RAP tests, Outpost Security Suite Pro (which uses Virus Buster’s signatures) is running with the big boys but falls in the middle of the pack as opposed to being in the top. Of course VB’s RAP tests is only one benchmark; other tests by a different company may paint a slightly different picture. My point is I personally feel more comfortable running Outpost Firewall alongside other anti-malware programs (such as Avast) as opposed to letting Outpost handle all my protection; and the cool thing about Outpost Security Suite Pro is it allows you to do just that. If you don’t want to use all the modules/protection of Outpost Security Suite, you can easily enable/disable the modules/protection you don’t want. For example, with Outpost Firewall Pro I have the anti-spyware and web control modules disabled because I allow Avast to provide that protection for me. This robustness and willingness to play well with others is just one of the reasons why I enjoy Agnitum products.
Overall, to sum up my advice, grab this great freebie while it is available. If, like me, you only want to use Outpost Security Suite Pro for its firewall, you can do that; if you want to use it for all its features you can do that, too.
1 year licenses of Outpost Security Suite Pro are being given away in a promotion by CHIP. There is no information if this promotion is time limited or not but my guess is it is time limited, so grab this freebie while you can. Also, there is no information on if you can install/reinstall at a later date but the promotion gives you a personalized license code for Outpost Security Suite Pro so my guess is you can install/reinstall whenever you want as long as it is within one year. Do take note, however, the licenses have no shelf-life – they start expiring soon as you get them.
This is a German promotion but the program is in English.
To get a 1 year license of Outpost Security Suite Pro for free, follow these simple directions:
Version being given out for free: v7.5.1
Free updates: Unknown. My guess is anti-malware database signatures and engine updates are free but program updates are not
Free technical support: Unknown
Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Supported e-mail clients for anti-spam protection: Microsoft Office Outlook (2010 and earlier), Windows Mail, Outlook Express, The Bat!
Download size: 190 MB
- Visit the promotion page and register, using the promotion code provided below:
Promotion code: 76VA6-V3P2S-CC4CW-8S44G-S6F9U
Hit the Abschicken button when you have filled out the whole form.
Note: After you hit the Abschicken button the page may keep loading and time out or you may get a database error. There seems to be some sort of problem with Agnitum’s website. Don’t worry — even if the page keeps loading and times out or you get a database error, you will still be e-mailed your license key. If you get a database error before you are able to submit the form, just be patient until Agnitum fixes their website. I had to try a few times but I got it loaded and was e-mailed a key.
- Once you submit the form on the promotion page, you will be shown your license key:
Keep this key safe; you will need it to register Outpost Security Suite Pro in order to get the free 1 year license. If you lose it, don’t worry — it is also e-mailed to you.
- Download Outpost Security Suite Pro:
- After the download finishes, install Outpost Security Suite Pro. Take note the download includes two installers — one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Pick the right one for your computer.
- After installation you will be asked to restart your computer. You don’t have to, but I suggest you do because Outpost won’t turn on until you restart. If you do decide to restart, be sure to save your key in a Notepad file so you can access it after you restart. If you don’t want to store the key, you can always grab the key from your e-mail (look for an e-mail from email@example.com with subject of Aktivierung).
- After you restart your computer (or if you don’t restart your computer), run Outpost Security Suite Pro and register it from the settings menu using the registration key you were provided earlier:
Note: Be sure to enter the registration key’s whole block of text exactly as it appeared on the webpage, including all the line breaks. Best way to do it is copy + paste.
If you have any trouble getting this freebie, please post below and other dotTechies or I will try to help.