The following is a description of DAZ Studio 4, as per the developer:
What is DAZ Studio?
DAZ Studio is a feature rich 3D figure customization, posing, and animation tool that enables anyone to create stunning digital illustrations and animations. DAZ Studio is the perfect tool to design unique digital art and animations using virtual people, animals, props, vehicles, accessories, environments and more. Simply select your subject and/or setting, arrange accessories, setup lighting, and begin creating beautiful artwork.
With DAZ Studio 4 you can…
- Create custom 3D characters and avatars
- Produce illustrations for books, comics, and graphic novels
- Make your own CG movies
- Quickly make your own editorial artwork
- Create graphic design elements
- Design virtual environments with animated fly-throughs
3D modeling is something I know absolutely nothing about. As such, I cannot really give advice one way or another on DAZ Studio 4. Instead, I ask dotTechies who do have experience with 3D modeling give us feedback regarding DAZ Studio 4 in the comments  below.
I will say this much, however. DAZ Studio has three different editions — DAZ Studio 4, DAZ Studio Advanced 4, and DAZ Studio Pro 4. The following are the differences between the three editions, as per the developer:
Click on the chart to view it in a full size.
[More detailed comparison can be found in this PDF file .]
This freebie is of DAZ Studio 4 — not Advanced or Pro.
DAZ Studio 4 is being given away in a promotion by the developer. The giveaway is live until December 31, 2011 but there is no information on if you can install/reinstall at a later date. My guess is you can install/reinstall at a later date because the freebie is being processed like you are purchasing it (although you don’t have to enter any financial details).
To get DAZ Studio 4 for free, do the following:
Version being given out for free: v184.108.40.206
Free updates: Unknown
Free technical support: Unknown
Supported OS: Windows and Mac — 32-bit only
Download size: 440.5 MB (Windows) | 474.4 MB (Mac)
- The first thing you need to do is register an account with DAZ Productions. (If you already have an account with them, skip to the next step — you don’t need to create a new one.) Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. To register, visit the registration page  and fill out the form:
Take note if you aren’t comfortable giving your birthday you don’t have to — leave it at the default value and you will still register just fine.
Once you will out the form hit the create account button. If you do it properly you will see a page like that says the following:
Check the inbox of the e-mail address you registered with. Look for an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org with subject of DAZ account confirmation. In the e-mail is a link u must follow:
Click on the link or copy + paste it in your browser. Close the page that loads — you now have an active account with DAZ Productions.
- Visit the promotion page  and click add to cart:
- When you click add to cart a window will pop up from where you must click the checkout button:
- Now log into your account:
- At the next page scroll to the bottom and click on the Place Order button:
If all goes well you will be shown a confirmation message:
- Visit the serial keys section  of your profile and copy the serial key:
- Visit the downloads section  of your profile and begin downloading DAZ Studio 4:
- After the download finishes, install DAZ Studio 4.
- After installation run DAZ Studio 4 and register it using the serial key you copied earlier:
Note: There is no confirmation screen telling you that you have successfully registered.
If you have trouble getting DAZ Studio 4 for free, post below and other dotTechies or I will try to help.
Thanks Jeanjean !