Free CoffeeCup Web Image Studio Lite! [Limited time Offer]December 28, 2011 5 Email article | Print article
The following is a description of CoffeeCup Web Image Studio Lite, as per the developer:
First, a bit of background: We started this project as a response to the overwhelming positive reception and success of our web graphics campaigns. High quality creative icons, backgrounds, buttons, and other web graphics are not easy to make; nor are they easily available for a decent price.
We thought it would be really cool if these well received graphics could be easily customized. Changing colors, sizes, effects, and texts to fit a website, a design, or just to add a personal touch could be possible with just a few clicks and without the need to invest a lot of money or time in an image editor.
To do this we created Web Image Studio Lite (and a more robust version is in the works — but more about that later.) Then we went even further and started building our own themes with these customizable graphics. Take a background image, change the appearance with a few clicks, and add it to the theme. Do that a few more times, and a new design is born!
And that is what we would like you to test. Web Image Studio Lite allows you to open the graphics that come with a theme so you can change colors and words, manipulate images, and more. This is not a full blown graphics editor; especially for the Lite version, we wanted to keep things simple, so for lack of a better word we can call it a web graphics customizer.
It is hard to get a finger on what exactly Web Image Studio Lite is. The developer touts it as a “web graphics customizer”. The issue is the “Lite” version appears to be a feature limited version of Web Image Studio; and As far as I can tell, the ability to insert or edit images are the features not found in the Lite version. In other words, with Web Image Studio Lite you can either a) open and edit existing Web Image Studio projects (.WIF format) or b) create new graphics (which can be saved as PNG, JPG, or WIF) using lines, shapes, and text.
Now I am not the artistic type in the least so I won’t be insulted if you take my advice with a grain of salt; but I have to question how useful Web Image Studio Lite is. I mean without the ability to edit existing images (you can only open .WIF projects) or insert new images into graphics you are creating, what is the point of Web Image Studio Lite? To create graphics with lines, shapes, and text? Meh.
For what it is worth, this particular freebie of Web Image Studio Lite comes with two graphic packs which contain .WIF format icons you can open, edit, and save.
If you are a graphics designer you can decide for yourself if you want Web Image Studio Lite or not (my guess is you won’t want it unless you work with .WIF format files). If you are not a graphics designer, save yourself the trouble — there is no way in hell you will find this program even remotely useful: It isn’t even half an image editor… it is a WIF editor.
Web Studio Image Lite is being given away by the developers themselves, CoffeeCup Software. There is no information on how long this giveaway is live but it looks like it is a time limited offer so grab it while it is still available, if you want it. Also there is no information on if you can install/reinstall at a later date but I believe you can since it doesn’t involve any registering.
To get Web Studio Image Lite, do the following:
Version being given out for free: v1.0 Build 3430
Free updates: Unknown
Free technical support: Unknown
Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/Win7
.NET Framework 3 or higher and Adobe Flash Player 10.1 or higher are required
Download size: 18.1 MB
- Visit the promotion page and register for a free S-Drive account with CoffeeCup:
Fill out the form and hit GET STARTED.
- After you fill out the form and hit GET STARTED you will be redirected to your S-Drive dashboard’s Storage section. In that section you will find the download link to Web Image Studio Lite (the download includes the two free graphics packs):
Click on the link to begin the download.
- The download is a ZIP file that contains three files — Web Image Studio Lite’s installer and two graphics packs. After the download has finished, unzip the ZIP file and install Web Image Studio Lite by double-clicking on Web-Image-Studio-Lite-1.0.3430.exe.
- After installation has finished, close Web Image Studio Lite if it opens. Go back to the folder where you unzipped the download and double-click on Holidays-Sweet_Characters.wif and Holidays-Happy_Morning.wif. You should get messages like the following:
- After you have finished all of that, you are done. Web Image Studio Lite comes “preinstalled” so there is no need to register it. Enjoy!
If you have trouble getting Web Image Studio Lite for free, post below and other dotTechies or I will try to help.