Get over 30 new freeware programs from DonationCoder’s NANY 2012
Posted By Ashraf On January 5, 2012 @ 5:28 PM In Tips 'n Tricks | 5 Comments
Each year DonationCoder, a website that promotes freeware/donationware software, holds a NANY (New Apps for the New Year) event where software developers from all around the world publish new freeware/donationware programs. NANY 2012 has seen the release of 34 programs of which a dozen or so are likely to appeal to a wide audience while the rest are more niche software. See the list below to learn more about NANY 2012 programs:
Note: I did not compile this list nor are the software descriptions written by me; don’t consider these descriptions as “reviews”. I copy + pasted all of the information found below from the official DonationCoder announcement.
- Ethervane Echo 
- Written by DonationCoder member tranglos, Ethervane Echo is a lightweight clipboard extender designed to speed up typing repetitive text. For writers, translators and coders. Fast and lightweight, with instant search. I have to say, the amount of time and effort that tranglos put into this program really shows. The help file is extensive and documents the program extremely well.
- Qatapult 
- Written by DonationCoder member ecaradec, Qatapult is a keyboard launcher reminiscent of the QuickSilver program on Macs that has this super nice feature that allows to run commands on objects with completion on object and command and possibly extra arguments. It also has a very slick and customizable design UI. Ecaradec has adapted ideas from QuickSilver and made them available for Windows as Qatapult.
- MPQ Screensaver Builder 
- Multi Photo Quotes Builder, by DonationCoder member mouser, let’s users package screensavers for their friends and family that contain images and quotes of their own creation. Based on mouser’s Multi Photo Quotes screen saver engine, it offers a high degree of customization on the installed machine, and has unique abilities to tile images on multiple monitors and support random text quotes integrated with the images.
- Web Link Captor 
- Mouser’s Web Link Captor is a program that takes a list of plaintext items, and builds an output document containing a list of url-linked results based on web searches for the items. It’s a way to quickly build a clickable list of items from just their names, suitable for posting on your blog or a forum, etc. This program took some time, folks. You’d normally expect to pay for software that is this useful and polished. Being able to obtain software like this for free is one of the great things that DonationCoder offers the virtual community.
- Image Grid 
- This tool, by DonationCoder member vlastimil, allows you to take several smaller pictures and create one big image with all the smaller pictures arranged in a rows and columns. This tool will prove useful to create custom wallpapers from photographs, create previews of multiple images for sites like deviant art or for designers’ client, create pictures for a printing service that only supports pictures of certain size and the client needs lots of smaller pictures.
- Recursiview 
- Written by DonationCoder member skwire, Recursiview is a simple image viewer that will allow view a flat list of all images in a folder and subfolders.Keyboard-driven operation; Unicode-path compatible; Configurable thumbnail size.
- MPH (Media Player Hotkeys) 
- Written by DonationCoder member skwire, MPH (Media Player Hotkeys) is a hotkey application designed to allow you to control various audio, video and media players from one set of global hotkeys..
- PDFInfoGUI 
- Written by DonationCoder member skwire, PDFInfoGUI is a graphical user interface front-end for pdfinfo.exe from the Xpdf package at FooLabs.. It can show a table of pdf information for a large collection of pdf files, and export to csv.
- GotSpace? 
- GotSpace?, by DC member Stoic Joker, is a small simple portable utility that will list the available drives and the space available on them. It’s actually a clone of another program SJ had been using for years which had never been updated and lacked some of the features that SJ has added to Got Space?
- Portable Extension Warlock 
- Using this tool by DonationCoder member hamradio, you can build a launch file to launch files of certain types in certain applications skipping the system file associations. You should be able to use this as well on portable devices as long as the computer you intend to use it on has .NET 4.0. by using the DropZone that is included.
- Uncle Cody’s Dice Game 
- DonationCoder members Mouser and Krishnean collaborated on this game, which is a simple Solitaire dice game based on Martian Dice by Tasty Minstrel Games. Fun!
- PinPics 
- Written by DonationCoder member NinJA999, PinPics maps out geotagged photos from a folder. It’s a great way to see where you’ve been and to bring back old memories. Try it with the pictures on your smartphone!
- Stick A Note 
- Stick A Note, by DonationCoder member anandcoral, is an application to create focus-less notes that can be associated with application windows. The note moves with the associated window, and in saved in text format. The note auto-hides in the associated program window is hidden or inactive, and a hotkey can be used to show/hide the note.
- Tell When Done 
- Tell When Done, by DonationCoder member anandcoral, watches a program window, which is doing some process, and tells when it has done it’s processing. Effectively freeing the user to do another job in another window, without worrying about it.
- See dotTech’s review on Tell When Done here .
- Paste Like Text 
- Written by DonationCoder member anandcoral, Paste Like Text gives option to paste the text from clipboard, in different format, like Proper case, valid file name, hex color value, remove blanks etc. Also option for mimic typing, auto pasteboard and view the color, if possible.
- Fentwiss 
- Fentwiss is a java-based keyboard-centric calculator and converter written by DonationCoder member timns. The program features simple and natural syntax for fast calculation and conversion, and tries to present the results in a human-friendly way (mixed units, fractions).
- Desktop URL Embed 
- Desktop URL Embed was written by DonationCoder member wraith808. Active desktop was supposed to be a big feature on Windows, but it has faded into the annals of history. Or has it? It’s still there, just not as prevalent. So when wraith808 wanted to embed a webcam view in his Evil Genius desktop setup, he decided to learn about Windows Gadgets. This program allows the user to embed a URL into their desktop, and set a refresh if desired and the size of the gadget.
- Kyrathasoft Source Code Line Counter 
- Are you a software developer? Do you ever find yourself estimating a project’s size (“Oh, what you’re wanting will probably amount to about 5,000 lines of code…”) in terms of lines of source code? Kyrathasoft Source Code Line Counter, by DonationCoder member kyrathaba, makes counting lines of source code easy and fast — within a single project, or across multiple projects. It has the option to discount blank lines and/or comments, and to count/discount IDE-created code. This donationware program supports the following programming languages’ source-files: Visual Basic, C, C#, Delphi/Pascal, Bash, Java, AHK, and AutoIt.
- Kyrathasoft Found Money 
- Found Money when DonationCoder member kyrathaba responded to a coding-snack request made by DonationCoder member caddo. The program allows you to keep track of money that you find — under your car seat, in the washing machine, etc. Features record creation, saving, editing of saved records, and even searching against criteria (“show me any records in which the number of pennies is less than six”, or “show me any records in which the number of one-dollar bills is exactly equal to three”). Use it for its original intended purpose, or as a digital piggy bank.
- Kyrathasoft Hangman Game 
- This program was kyrathaba’s first submission for NANY 2012, although he later added three more programs. This is a Hangman variant that presents well over nine-hundred hangman puzzles to be solved. As you continue to solve puzzles, the amount of time you have in which to solve each puzzles decreases — to a point. You can opt to register a username on the online database in order to compete against others who are also using the program, seeing who can get the highest score. In the contest I ran, $30.00 of DonationCredits were distributed to monthly high-scorers. I very much enjoyed everyone’s participation, and assistance in improving the game!
- Visual Perimeter 
- Visual Perimeter, by DonationCoder member hegearon, is a very simple-to-use, barebones application whose inner width/height can be set via a “Control Panel” that drops down from the top of the mostly transparent form. Use this program to visualize a perimeter that is so many pixels in width, by so many pixels in height. A nice first effort, by new DC member hegearon!
- Treat Yourself Nicely 
- Treat Yourself Nicely, by DonationCoder member Stephen66515, is designed to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet. Using this software will give your computer control over when you are able to have a snack! Simply enter your name, and timer options in the settings menu and your good to go!
- NoteMe 
- Using NoteMe, written by DonationCoder member justice, you can quickly send mail to yourself. NoteMe makes it possible to blog using WordPress or Posterous, to send stuff to evernote or pinboard, or label these messages (use NoteMe as a work log). Anything that can accept email can be used with NoteMe. Choose an email address from the dropdown combobox, enter a brief message, click Send. Voila! You’ve sent a note via email. This program can also be invoked by a script or batch file. NOTE: This program currently sends all messages through a central sever script using http protocol, and then from a gmail account, so you may not want to use it for ultra-sensitive private messages.
- Chess PGN Processor 
- Written by DonationCoder member TaoPhoenix, is a free program for filtering and compressing the data in PGN chess game files.
- GoogolBar 
- GoogolBar, by DonationCoder member app103, is a replacement for the Google Toolbar for Windows. It does not contain anything questionable, unethical, shady, sneaky, privacy invading, etc. Nice, clean, and simple. It is a deskbar that integrates with your taskbar to provide convenient searching of various Google services (20 in total) right from the desktop in your default browser. It will work with all major browsers and most obscure ones, too. It will work with both horizontal and vertical taskbars. It will not store a search history, not phone home, not report statistics, no automatic installation of updates without the user’s knowledge or consent, no tracking of personally identifiable surfing activities, no tracking of “anonymous” statistics, no changes to your default search engine, no changes to your default “new tab” page, no changes to any web page you view, no collection and storage of personally identifiable information, no loading of dynamic content from the web, no advertising, no 3rd party bundled software, no BS. NOTE: It currently works with WinXP 32-bit ONLY, but soon a version is coming that will be Vista/Win7-compatible. And for those that really care about privacy, there is an option to search using Scroogle.
- Nea 
- Nea, by DonationCoder member ewemoa, starts and stops certain AHK_L scripts — though the current intent is for FARR-focused scripts. Over the years a variety of FARR-related AHK scripts and snippets have been posted to the DC forums and this app might make it convenient to manage a collection of these.
- PerceptualDiff 
- PerceptualDiff is authored by DonationCoder member JoTo. The program is used to batch compare two branches of image files in a human visible (perceptual – not binary) way. It permits the user to Move and Rename files depending on match results. It is a GUI front-end to the Perceptual Diff utility authored by Hector Yee, and has been offered back to the SourceForge project.
- Flipside 
- Flipside, created by DonationCoder member Deozaan, has a very simple premise. You have a single board, where you play on both sides of it simultaneously. Basically, one side tries to kill the other side. Take turns moving units and attacking each other. But wait, you say, if they are on two different sides of a plane, how do they fight each other? You notice that each side have two different looking units in the corners. They are special units. They cannot be killed, but they also cannot attack either. If they are targeted and hit, they will be pushed back a square in the opposite direction of the attack. But if they aren’t combat units, what do they do? They can flip specific squares from one side to the other. The unit with a + on his helmet flips all the squares in the same row and column (orthogonally), while the unit with an X on his helmet flips all the tiles going out diagonally from his position. The special units do not change sides at all, ever, but any other unit on a flipped square is moved to the other side regardless of which side he started on, unless of course one of the special units is occupying a tile that a regular unit would flip to.
- Reverse Dictionary (for Android devices) 
- Reverse Dictionary (for Android devices), created by DonationCoder member lotusrootstarch, is a powerful word finder that lets you describe an idea/concept and get back a list of words and phrases related to that concept. Also functions as a thesaurus. For android devices. Ad supported.
- Big Bang Theory Sound Quotes (for Android devices) 
- Reverse Dictionary (for Android devices), created by DonationCoder member lotusrootstarch, presents you with the ultimate collection of sound quotes from The Big Bang Theory. For android devices. Ad supported.
- Printer PaperSource Explorer 
- Written by DonationCoder member Ath, Printer PaperSource Explorer displays information about your printers Paper Trays (the source of the paper). Ever needed to setup Tray numbers in an application for a complicated, multi-tray, office printer? Then here’s the way to find out the correct tray/bin numbers.
- APK loader 
- APK Loader, by DonationCoder member limelect, is used to load APK files to an AVD simulator. The program makes use of Eclipse and an Android simulator.
- Habanero Simple Software Licensing – Early Beta Release 
- Habanero Simple Software Licensing, by DonationCoder member josant, is an early beta release of a new software licensing solution for developers that will be released eventually as commercial software.
Keep in mind if you appreciate the work of any of the developers who created the above-mentioned apps, DonationCoder allows you to donate to specific developers — so don’t be afraid to show some $$$.
Freel free to share with us in the comments  below your favorite NANY 2012 programs.
[via DonationCoder ]
Article printed from dotTech: http://dottech.org
URL to article: http://dottech.org/26338/get-over-30-new-freeware-programs-from-donationcoders-nany-2012/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dcnany2012.png
 Ethervane Echo: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27849.0
 Qatapult: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28713.0
 MPQ Screensaver Builder: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29448.0
 Web Link Captor: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=306.0
 Image Grid: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29464.0
 Recursiview: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28372.0
 MPH (Media Player Hotkeys): http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28387.0
 PDFInfoGUI: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29276.0
 GotSpace?: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27333.0
 Portable Extension Warlock: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27928.0
 Uncle Cody’s Dice Game: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29477.0
 PinPics: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29175.0
 Stick A Note: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28666.0
 Tell When Done: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28614.0
 here: http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/25720/be-notified-when-programs-are-done-processing-with-tell-when-done/
 Paste Like Text: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27967.0
 Fentwiss: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28680.0
 Desktop URL Embed: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28947.0
 Kyrathasoft Source Code Line Counter: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27206.0
 Kyrathasoft Found Money: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27463.0
 Kyrathasoft Hangman Game: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27130.0
 Visual Perimeter: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29184.0
 Treat Yourself Nicely: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29168.0
 NoteMe: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28912.msg272957#new
 Chess PGN Processor: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29410.0
 GoogolBar: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29346.0
 Nea: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28939.0
 PerceptualDiff: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29419.0
 Flipside: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28662.0
 Reverse Dictionary (for Android devices): http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29347.0
 Big Bang Theory Sound Quotes (for Android devices): http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29224.0
 Printer PaperSource Explorer: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28706.0
 APK loader: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29380.0
 Habanero Simple Software Licensing – Early Beta Release: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29453.0
 comments: #comments
 DonationCoder: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29513.0
Click here to print.