Windows XP Home
- Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 constantly while the computer is rebooting).
- Log into an account with administrator privileges.
- Open [driveinstalledon]:Program FilesAviraAntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.
- Right click on avnotify.exe and go to Properties > Security > Advanced.
- Click on Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> OK.
- Repeat for all users.
- Reboot your computer normally.
Windows 2000 / Windows XP Pro
- Go to Start > Run.
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Navigate through User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
- Double click “Don’t run specified Windows applications”.
- Enable it and click show.
- Add “avnotify.exe”.
- Click OK on all open windows.
- Start > Run: secpol.msc (You can also access this program through ‘Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy’ this is useful if it is easier the location of this rather than the file name)
- Right click “Software Restriction Policies,” Choose “New Software Restriction Policies.” (Skip this step if there are subfolders in Software Restriction Policies already.)
- Right Click “Additional Rule” folder > New Path Rule.
- Where it says Path, Type the path of avnotify.exe on your computer, or use the Browse button to find it. (On XP64 using a default install of Avira, the path is: (C:Program Files (x86)AviraAntiVir PersonalEdition Classicavnotify.exe)
- Make sure the “Security Level” Dropdown menu is selected as “Disallowed“
- If you would like to make sure it went through correctly, open the Additional Rules folder, and verify the path and security level.
- Enjoy the absence of nag windows.
- Go to C:Program FilesAviraAntiVir PersonalEdition Classicavnotify.exe.
- Right-click avnotify.exe and go to Properties > Security.
- Under the group or username SYSTEM, click edit.
- Put a checkmark under the DENY column for “read and execute”.
- Open the control panel through Start > Control Panel.
- Go to Administrative Tools > Local security policy.
- Click on Software Restriction Policy > Action > Create new restriction policy.
- Right-click, and go to additional rules > new path rule.
- Click Browse and navigate to C:Program FilesAviraAntiVir PersonalEdition Classic and double-click avnotify.exe.
- Set the security level to Disallowed.
- Click apply and OK.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business/Ultimate
Note: The legalities of removing the popups with Avira Personal/Free are questioned. Some people say it is okay to do so while others say it is not. Use your own judgment please. :)
Ashraf’s Note: This article was contributed to dotTech by choicefresh (I made a few edits fyi), otherwise known as Liam K. He is also the original author of the article at wikiHow. Liam’s original sources include gHacks and EliteKiller. Thanks Liam!