- utilitas  [App that has fifteen useful tools such as a stopwatch, compass, timer, and protractor]
- VLC HD Remote (+ Stream)  [Use your Android device as a remote to control VLC on your computer and stream videos from Android to computer and computer to Android]
- SMS Text Messaging ? Computer  [Send text messages using your computer]
About Android Apps of the Day
Android has over 450,000 apps. With so many apps out there, app discovery (aka finding new and useful apps) is extremely difficult. With our Android Apps of the Day  initiative, dotTech aims to change that. Everyday we post three apps, allowing our readers to discover new apps, daily. Enjoy! [Subscribe to our Android section to never miss an article: RSS Feed  | E-mail ]
Developers: Click here  to get your apps featured here!
dotTechies: Want to see an app on here? Send us a tip !
Apps for June 24, 2012
- Numbers – Find out the Roman numeral of a number, plus see what the number is called in English, French, Spanish, or Italian.
- DataCalc – Find out how many days are between two dates.
- StopWatch – A simple stopwatch.
- Timer – A simple timer.
- Compass – A simple compass.
- Torch – Use your device’s screen or flash as a torch.
- Watch – A simple watch that displays time.
- SpiritLevel – Not sure what this does.
- Random – Generate random numbers between a range that you define.
- Lens – Use your device’s camera as a magnifying glass.
- Convert – Convert between length, area, volume, weight, and temperature units.
- Sun – Provides information regarding the sun for your region, such as sun rise, sun set, and day length.
- Ruler – An on-screen ruler.
- Discount – Calculate the final price for items on sale that have a percentage discount.
- Protractor – An on-screen protractor.
In of itself the fifteen tools of utilitas aren’t anything unique or special. Rather the attraction of utilitas is that it provides these fifteen tools in one app, as opposed to downloading fifteen different apps.
Version discovered: v1.1.4
Download size: 344 KB
The requirements to use VLC HD Remote as simple: You need to be connected to the same network (WiFi or otherwise) as your computer and must have VLC installed on that computer. Then, once you setup VLC to work with VLC HD Remote (VLC HD Remote provides directions on how to setup VLC to do this — it is very easy) you can start using VLC HD Remote to control VLC. VLC HD Remote has all the controls one would expect, such as play, forward, rewind, etc. plus DVD controls. It also supports VLC playlists.
If you decide to dish out for the paid version of VLC HD Remote (“VLC HD Remote Pro Unlocker”) you will have the ability to stream videos from your Android device to VLC on your computer; and from VLC on your computer to your Android device. Take note the free version of VLC HD Remote has these streaming features available for seven days only.
Price: Free, $2.64
Version discovered: v1.2.4
Download size: 1.3 MB
In our gadget filled world, often we sit at your computers (doing something) with our devices sitting next to us. When we receive a text message we pick up our phones and answer. What if it was possible to connect your phone to your computer and receive and send text messages from your computer? Well now you can with SMS Text Messaging ? Computer.
SMS Text Messaging ? Computer is a two-part program. One is the Android app you must install on your Android device. The other part is accessing SMS Text Messaging ? Computer via your Internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer supported — it doesn’t matter if you are on Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X). Once you have both setup you can set sending and receiving text messages from your computer. The best part is it is all wireless — you don’t need to be connected via USB cord or be connected to the same wireless network.
Aside from the obvious sending of messages from your computer (MMS, or picture messages, are not supported), features of SMS Text Messaging ? Computer include alerts of new messages, alerts of missed calls, and call logs; backup of SMS and MMS messages; and more.
Take note SMS Text Messaging ? Computer sends messages through your Android device. In other words, SMS Text Messaging ? Computer doesn’t charge you anything but your phone carrier will charge you for each message sent. If you don’t have a texting package, then you are best to not use this app. Sending messaging via this app is the same as if you were sending messages from directly on your Android device; the difference is just that you are using your computer instead of your device.
Version discovered: v2.90
Download size: 312 KB
dotTechies: We have tested all the apps listed above. However, Android Apps of the Day articles are not intended as “reviews” but rather as “heads-up” to help you discover new apps. Always use your best judgement when downloading apps, such as trying trial/free versions before purchasing paid apps, if applicable.