ClockworkMod recovery is currently the most popular and extensive custom recovery tool for Android devices. Its wide range of features has over time made it the most preferred recovery tool for even the standard Android users. ClockworkMod Recovery Touch gives you the ability to utilize your device’s touchscreen interface (as well as the physical buttons), while the usual ClockworkMod recovery uses only the physical buttons on Android devices (Volume up, Volume down, Home, etc).
HighOnAndroid is an unofficial version of ClockworkMod Recovery Touch released by a senior member of XDA, zedomax. The official version is yet to be released. But, the unofficial release by zedomax seems to quite useful, except that SD card mounting while in recovery doesn’t work and the touchscreen is reportedly a bit buggy while scrolling (as a solution you can use the Volume Up and Down keys).
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Install a custom recovery at your own risk. Installing a custom recovery may void your warranty.
This guide will help you to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. As per zedomax, this method works for both the 3G (GT-N8000) and Wi-Fi (GT-N8013) versions.
Before starting off with the procedures, get the following packages:
- Download HighOnAndroidv1CWMRecoveryGTN8000.tar to your computer. Do not extract this file.
- Download ATTGalaxyNoteRecovery.zip. Extract this file to obtain 3 files (odin_n1717_cwm_recovery_b4.tar, Odin3.ini and odin3 v1.85.exe). We need only 2 files from this package (Odin3.ini and odin3 v1.85.exe). To make sure that you don’t flash the wrong file later in a hurry, delete odin_n1717_cwm_recovery_b4.tar.
- Samsung USB drivers for Windows, if you are running Windows, or the drivers for Mac or Linux if you are running those. Install the drivers if you haven’t installed them already.
How To install/flash ClockworkMod recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
To install ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, follow these procedures:
- Turn off your device.
- Boot into Download Mode by keeping the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power’ buttons pressed (Volume Down + Home + Power), until you see a Warning! screen.
- At the Warning! screen, read it and press ‘Volume Up’ button to enter Download mode.
- Double-click odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin.
- Plug-in your device to the computer using USB cable.
- After you plug-in the device, the first box at the top of Odin, i.e, ID:COM will turn yellow and the message ‘Added’ should appear in the message box in Odin (If this doesn’t happen make sure you have the drivers for your device installed on your computer).
- On the Odin window, click on PDA button and select the HighOnAndroidv1CWMRecoveryGTN8000.tar file that you had downloaded earlier. Do not make any changes to any other settings in Odin.
- Click on ‘Start’ to start the flashing.
- Wait until Odin does its thing. The box at the top of Odin will show ‘PASS’ after the flashing procedure is complete.
- Wait till the device automatically reboots.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Done! You now have the feature-rich ClockworkMod Recovery Touch installed on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.
- Turn off the device.
- Keep pressing ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Power buttons until the device responds. Once the display turns on, release the ‘Power’ button, while holding the ‘Volume Up’ button.
- Tada! Welcome to ClockworkMod recovery!
To access ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1:
Enjoy your stay with unofficial ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 as we wait for Koush to release an official version of the ClockworkMod recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Now you can do things such as rooting your device, performing advanced backup and recovery, partitioning SD card and much more.