After unlocking the bootloader of your HTC One X and installing ClockworkMod recovery, the next thing you might want to do is rooting your device. Rooting your device will enable you to have access to advanced features like overclocking your device, managing permissions of specific apps, making advanced backups, etc.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
This guide will help you to install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery Touch (or just the non-touch version of CWM recovery) on your HTC One X. This guide is specifically for the GSM international version of HTC One X (Quad Core Tegra 3). Please do not try this on your AT&T, Rogers or Telstra versions (Snapdragon S4) of HTC One X. This guide needs you to have installed CWM recovery on your device. Proceed at your own risk.
Before We Begin
To start with the process of rooting your HTC One X, make sure that you are ready with the following:
- Make sure that you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your device.
- Download CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip (or the latest version of SuperSU from its official XDA thread) to your computer. Do not extract this file. Place this file in the root directory of your phone’s internal storage.
How To Root HTC One X (GSM) using ClockworkMod recovery
To root your HTC One X (GSM) using ClockworkMod recovery, follow the steps below:
- Power off your device.
- Hold down Volume down and Power buttons (Volume down + Power) until your screen responds.
- Choose the RECOVERY option from the list to boot into CWM recovery.
- Take a backup of your device by choosing ‘backup and restore‘, and then select ‘backup‘.
- After the backup is complete, ‘go back‘ to the main menu of CWM recovery.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Now select the file CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip (or the latest version of SuperSU) that you had downloaded earlier.
- Choose Yes, and CWM recovery will now start installing the file.
- After successful installation, you can reboot your device by choosing ‘go back’ and then ‘reboot system now’.
- Done! Your phone is now rooted (if everything went fine)!
- Open up your Apps list and you will notice a new app ‘SuperSU’. You can access it anytime to manage root permissions for different apps.
Enjoy your rooted HTC One X (GSM) international version. Now you can do things such as managing app permissions, block ads or deny apps Internet access. Don’t forget to check back for more on your device.