- dotTech - http://dottech.org -
Mozilla introduces ‘Firefox Health Report’, an opt-out data collector that sends Firefox usage data to Mozilla
Posted By Ashraf On September 22, 2012 @ 7:31 PM In Browsers | 4 Comments
One of the ways software publishers improve their products is by collecting data on how their programs are being used by the end user. This data, if utilized properly, can provide significant insights to developers on how they can not only improve bugs and errors but also better tailor their programs to fit the needs and desires of their users. Mozilla wants to do the same with Firefox.
Currently, Mozilla feels it is not receiving enough data from Firefox users. As such, Mozilla is introducing a new feature in Firefox — Firefox Health Report. Firefox Health Reporter is a tool that will gather data on Firefox usage and report back to Mozilla. Mozilla will then use that data to improve Firefox.
According to Mozilla, the following is the type of information Firefox Health Reporter gathers:
- Configuration data – for example, device hardware, operating system, Firefox version
- Customizations data – for example, add-ons, count and type
- Performance data – for example, timing of browser events, rendering, session restores
- Wear and Tear data – for example, length of session, how old a profile is, count of crashes
The following is how Mozilla feels Firefox Health Report will help improve Firefox:
- User insights exhibited on-board the browser instance through visualizations and comparative graphics.
- Product insights conveyed to Mozilla – the manufacturer or designer of the car– to help in improving existing browser instances and especially to more fully inform future design and development of Firefox.
- Provide Mozilla with the ability to streamline and reduce duplicate information it collects across other products such as Telemetry.
Firefox Health Report is going to be introduced by Mozilla into Firefox Nightly builds and will eventually make its way into mainstream Firefox by Firefox 20. Firefox Health Report will be an opt-out feature, meaning all users will send Mozilla the above-quoted data unless users specifically out-opt of not sending it. You can read more about Firefox Health Report from the links below.
[via TNW ]
Article printed from dotTech: http://dottech.org
URL to article: http://dottech.org/82044/mozilla-introduces-firefox-health-report-an-opt-out-data-collector-that-sends-firefox-usage-data-to-mozilla/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://cdn.dottech.org/media/2012/09/firefox.png
 Mozilla blog post on Firefox Health Report: https://blog.mozilla.org/metrics/2012/09/21/firefox-health-report/
 Firefox Health Report FAQ: https://blog.mozilla.org/metrics/firefox-health-report/fhr-faq/
 TNW: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/09/22/mozilla-announces-firefox-health-report-will-phone-home-data-improve-browser/
© 2008-2012 dotTech.org | All content is the property of its rightful owner.