Once you have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100), the next thing you might want to get done might be to root your device. But, as of now, none of the usual trustworthy methods such as flashing a zip from the recovery to root your device is actively discussed or used, since the device is still fresh. This guide doesn’t require you to have installed ClockworkMod recovery before beginning; but after following this guide you would be actually ending up with a rooted Samsung Galaxy Note II, along with the unofficial ClockworkMod recovery by Chenglu.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty. Installing custom recovery may void your warranty.
This guide helps you to root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100). Please note that this method might not work for any other versions other than N7100 of Samsung Galaxy Note II. Proceed at your own risk.
Before We Begin
To start with rooting and installing ClockworkMod recovery on your device, make sure that you are ready with the following:
- Download cwm6-root-note2.tar to your computer. Do not extract this file.
- Download ATTGalaxyNoteRecovery.zip. Extract this file to obtain 3 files (odin_n1717_cwm_recovery_b4.tar, Odin3.ini and odin3 v1.85.exe). We need only 2 files from this package (Odin3.ini and odin3 v1.85.exe). To make sure that you don’t flash the wrong file later in a hurry, delete odin_n1717_cwm_recovery_b4.tar.
- Samsung USB drivers for Windows, if you are running Windows, or the drivers for Mac or Linux if you are running those. Install the drivers if you haven’t installed them already.
How To Root and Install ClockworkMod recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100)
Follow the steps below to root and install ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100):
- Turn off the device.
- Boot into Download Mode by keeping the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power’ buttons pressed (Volume Down + Home + Power), until you see a Warning! screen.
- At the Warning! screen, read it and press ‘Volume Up’ button to enter Download mode.
- Double-click odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin.
- Plug-in your device to the computer using USB cable.
- After you plug-in the device, the first box at the top of Odin, i.e, ID:COM will turn yellow and the message ‘Added’ should appear in the message box in Odin (If this doesn’t happen make sure you have the drivers for your device installed on your computer).
- On the Odin window, click on PDA button and select cwm6-root-note2.tar which you had downloaded earlier. Do not make any changes to any other settings in Odin.
- Click on ‘Start’ to start the flashing.
- Wait until Odin does its thing. The box at the top of Odin will show ‘PASS’ after the flashing procedure is complete.
- Wait till the device automatically reboots.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Congrats! You have now successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100) and installed ClockworkMod recovery on it.
To access ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II:
- Turn off the device.
- Keep pressing ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Power buttons until the device responds. Once the display turns on, release the ‘Power’ button, while holding the ‘Volume Up’ button.
Enjoy your rooted Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100) with an extensive ClockworkMod recovery. Now you can do things such as managing app permissions, performing advanced backup and recovery, partitioning SD card and much more.