How to root ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T, unlock bootloader, and install ClockworkMod Recovery [Guide]November 28, 2012 31 Email article | Print article
So you have a brand new, shiny ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T and you want to root it. No worries, because this guide shows you exactly how to do that!
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting your device may void your warranty. Unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty. Installing ClockworkMod Recovery may void your warranty.
This guide is specifically for TW, US, WW, CN versions of ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean. Proceed at your own risk.
Before We Begin
- Enable “Unknown sources” in your device (Settings -> Security -> Unknown sources).
- Download and install ASUS Android USB drivers on your computer.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot on your computer, if you haven’t already.
- Download ClockworkMod Recovery (Ice Cream Sandwich version | Jelly Bean version) on your computer and place it in the same C:/Android folder you installed ADB and Fastboot to.
- Download the root file and place it in the internal storage of your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T.
- Download the official ASUS unlock tool and place it in the internal storage of your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T.
How To Root Asus Transformer Pad TF300T
Rooting ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T is a three step process: first you need to unlock your bootloader, then you need to flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then you need to flash the root file. So let’s begin.
To unlock the bootloader on your ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T, do the following:
Note: Unlocking the bootloader will wipe all data on your tablet; it is as if you do a factory reset. Proceed at your own risk. Unlocking bootloader voids your warranty.
- Using a file manager (you can use the File Manager app that comes with your TFT300T), navigate to where you placed the official ASUS unlock tool and click on the file.
- You will be asked if you want to install the file, tap “Install”.
- Once it is installed, run the app. (It is called “Unlock Device”.)
- When you run the app, you will be prompted to accept the EULA. Read the EULA, scroll to the bottom, tap the box next to “I have read and agree…”, and tap “OK”.
- At the next screen there will be a huge “Notice”. Read the “Notice”, tap the box next to “Agree”, and tap “Press to unlock your device”.
- Wait for the app to unlock your bootloader. Your device may reboot one or more times.
Once your device has finished unlocking the bootloader, you now need to flash ClockworkMod Recovery. To flash ClockworkMod Recovery, do the following:
- Turn off your tablet.
- While your tablet is turned off, hold the “Power Up” and “Volume Down” buttons. If you are on Ice Cream Sandwich, you will see a message that says “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Do not press the Volume Up button! Simply wait until the five seconds are over and you will be taken to a new menu. If you are on Jelly Bean, you will be taken directly to a new menu.
- At that new menu, you need to quickly press the “Volume Down” button to select the USB icon and then press the “Volume Up” to select that icon. If you do it properly, you will be taken into bootloader mode.
- Once in bootloader mode, connect your tablet to your computer via USB. Wait while your computer recognizes your tablet.
- Now open command prompt on your computer and type “fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery recovery.img” (without the quotes) if you downloaded the Ice Cream Sandwich recovery or “fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery recovery-jb.img” if you downloaded the Jelly Bean recovery.
- Wait while the recovery is flashed.
- Once the recovery is done being flashed, type “fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot” (without the quotes) to reboot your device and go back to the home screen.
Once you are back at the home screen, you now have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your TF300T; you can now root. To root, do the following:
- Turn off your tablet.
- While your tablet is turned off, hold the “Power Up” and “Volume Down” buttons.
- If you are on Ice Cream Sandwich, you will see a message that says “Press Vol. Up to enter RCK (5s)”. Press the “Volume Up” button. If you are on Jelly Bean, you will be taken to a menu where you must press “Volume Down” button until you have “RCK” selected, then press the “Volume Up” button to select it.
- When you do the above step, you will be in ClockworkMod Recovery. Use the “Volume Up”/”Volume Down” buttons to scroll to “Install zip from sdcard” and press the “Power” button to select it.
- At the next menu select “Choose zip from sdcard” and press the “Power” button.
- Now find the folder where you placed the “Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip” root file I told you to download earlier.
- Once you find the file, scroll to it using the “Volume Up”/”Volume Down” buttons and press the “Power” button to select it.
- Confirm you want to flash it by selecting “Yes”.
- Wait until ClockworkMod Recovery does its thing.
- Reboot your device when it is done
- When your device is rooted, you should be back at your home screen. Run Play Store.
- In Play Store, search for “SuperSu” and download and install it.
- Once installed, find SuperSu in your app tray and run it. You will be asked to update. Update it.
Done! Once you download, install, and update SuperSu you officially have a rooted device!