If you’re anything like me, your day is spent mostly staring at screens. Between computer monitors, my iPhone, our TV, weekend trips to the movies, and GPS devices, my eyes are basically staring at some kind of screen from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed. At the end of my day, my eyes are tired and bleary.
If you experience end of the day eye fatigue, the iPhone app Vision is here to help. Developed by AppZap, this handy app helps you determine if your vision is going bad (meaning it’s time for a new pair of glasses), and also offers tips for exercising your eyes to keep them feeling fresh.
What is it and what does it do
Vision is primarily an app that allows for vision testing (though it is no substitute for a visit to your eye doctor.) Additional features include fun optical illusions, eye exercise ideas, and tons of useful information regarding eye health and first aid.
- 6 different eye tests, including a visual field test, tests for color blindness, and retinal function tests
- No need to use a partner: most tests can be completed while alone and holding the phone at arm’s length
- Also includes optical illusions, sterograms, and other eye-popping entertainments
- Eye exercises can be ended early by simply tapping the screen
- Extensive list of different eye conditions and problems makes the app an educational tool as well
- Well organized app makes it easy to find what you’re looking for
- Does not (and should not) replace a visit to your eye doctor
- Some sounds associated with stopping or using the eye exercises did not play when they were supposed to
- Somewhat boring and underwhelming design
- Hasn’t been updated since 2011
The array of exercises actually work! After a long day of computer use, the series of blinking, “eye crunches,” relaxation, and staring exercises, my tired eyes really did feel a lot better. You don’t need to do the whole course of exercises to get relief, either!
A surprising benefit to the app is a Face Memory Test. While it works to test your visual memory, it also serves as a way to test how tired you are, since memory is the first thing to go when you are fatigued. Even if you have great vision, this app is worth checking out as a “reality check” to help you see how tired you are.
While there are some issues (like annoying banner ads and sounds within the tests that didn’t go off as scheduled to indicate when an exercise was over), Vision is overall a helpful app that deserves your attention.
Conclusion and download link
Vision is an app that’s educational, helpful, entertaining, and definitely easy on the eyes. While it can’t ever replace a trip to your eye doctor, this handy app will help to alert you when your eyes start to go bad, while also providing eye exercises to keep your eyeballs feeling fresh and pain-free after a long day at work.
Version reviewed: 4.1.1
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, iOS version 3.0 or later
Download size: 22.3 MB