[iPhone] Avocado provides private messaging for couplesJanuary 24, 2013 2 Email article | Print article
How many times a day do you find yourself needing to talk with your significant other? Whether its texting, Tweeting, Facebooking, or any number of other networking services, most people reach out to their significant others multiple times per day, even if it’s just little notes to say “I love you” or “Could you grab some milk on your way home from work?” Now, there’s a social app that’s just for couples. It’s called Avocado, and it provides a private way for two people to communicate with one another.
What is it and what does it do
Avocado is a private communicator for couples. You can use Avocado to share photos, messages, romantic sentiments, and lists. Additionally, the app works as a sort of relationship scrapbook, preserving these small moments in the context of your relationship.
- List-sharing feature is great for shopping lists, pre-wedding planning, or date night ideas
- Advanced data encryption and security features
- Customizable Quicknotes are perfect for sending quick messages on the go (such as “In a meeting, call you back later” or “Missing your terribly.”)
- Great for people who want to send messages quickly to their S.O., but without feeling like others on Facebook or Twitter are “peeping” on their relationship
- Want unlimited lists, photos, and early access to new features? You have to upgrade to Avocado Unlimited, a yearly subscription plan. However, one subscription purchase covers you and your “boo.”
- You need Avocado Unlimited in order to get prioritized tech support
Avocado was founded by a husband-and-wife team who wanted to create beautiful way for couples to communicate. I’d say they’ve succeeded: this app is thoughtfully designed, and has a clean, modern look.
Wondering why they call it “Avocado”? According to the developers, it’s because avocado fruit grow in pairs. Additionally, avocado trees only bear fruit when paired with another tree. The ancient Aztecs thought that avocados were an aphrodisiac superfood, and they symbolized both love and fertility.
Avocado is really simple to navigate, and the interface is wonderfully inviting. I really like the idea of having a way to talk with someone privately. Nobody likes the feeling that their social networking comments and messages are visible to everyone else in their social circle, after all. Plus, having all your “couple communications” in one place is much more tidy than jumping from app to app.
As much as I wish that you could keep unlimited lists, I get why there has been a subscription plan instituted recently. That being said, it was very nice of the developers to allow all users who downloaded the app before December 31, 2012 to upgrade to Avocado Unlimited for free for the lifetime of their account.
Conclusion and download link
For people who are in a committed relationship, Avocado is a great tool for keeping the romance alive. It’s a solid tool for communicating, sharing info, and staying connected…even on those days where you feel like you’ve barely seen each other.
Version reviewed: 1.3.6
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, iOS 5.0 or later
Download size: 6.7 MB