- dotTech - http://dottech.org -
[Windows] XUS PC Lock is the same program as Eusing Maze Lock
Posted By Ashraf On March 3, 2013 @ 12:00 AM In Windows | 10 Comments
So today I sat down to review XUS PC Lock, a program that adds smartphone-like pattern lock to Windows. XUS PC Lock is a shareaware program that costs $29.95 and I wanted to give dotTechies the option to use a freeware instead if they didn’t want to pay for XUS PC Lock. The only problem is I didn’t know a freeware program that adds a pattern lock off the top of my head. Therefore I went searching for one and boy did I come across a pleasant but bothersome surprise.
You see when searching for a freeware pattern lock program for Windows, I came across Eusing Maze Lock  is a freeware program that adds a pattern lock to Windows, just like XUS PC Lock. A bit too much like XUS PC Lock in fact.
When looking at the screenshots of Eusing Maze Lock on its homepage (prior to download it), I started to suspect that XUS PC Lock and Eusing Maze Lock may be the same program. Once I downloaded and installed Eusing Maze Lock and compared to to XUS PC Lock, my suspicion proved to be true — Eusing Maze Lock and XUS PC Lock are almost carbon copies of each other with two differences: Eusing Maze Lock is freeware (i.e. costs $0) while XUS PC Lock is shareware (costs $29.95) and XUS PC Lock has one extra feature — the ability to autorun in Safe Mode.
Don’t believe me? Check out the following screenshots:
Lock screens (first one is Eusing Maze Lock, second one is XUS PC Lock)
Settings (first one is Eusing Maze Lock, second one is XUS PC Lock)
The evidence is pretty damning (if you still don’t believe me, download both programs and see for yourself). Indeed, in looks, features, and usage (they even have the same animation when going to/from lock screen!) XUS PC Lock and Eusing Maze Lock are the same. The only difference, aside from price, is the fact that XUS PC Lock has the ability to autolock upon Safe Mode boot while Eusing Maze Lock doesn’t:
So now that we have concluded that the programs are indeed one in the same, the question arises: What is going on? Is someone copying the other? Is one a resale of the other? I don’t know.
Based off the research I have done, my guess is Eusing Maze Lock is the original while XUS PC Lock is the copy. It could be that XUS PC Lock has copied Eusing Maze Lock without permission and simply added on that extra feature or XUS PC Lock has rebranded Eusing Maze Lock with permission, e.g. reselling; it could even be that the same developer is behind both products, simply choosing to operate them under two different brands. I don’t really know. However, I am 42% certain Eusing Maze Lock is the original (the remaining 58% is undecided).
Why am I saying Eusing Maze Lock is the original and XUS PC Lock is the copy? Based off the following:
With that said, there is also evidence that suggests the theory that XUS PC Lock is the original and Eusing Maze Lock is the copy:
What makes this story even more interesting is two other shareware products, XUS Launcher and XUS Clock, appear to be the same as two other freeware products, Eusing Launcher and Eusing Clock. I didn’t download any of these four programs so I cannot be 100% certain but based on their homepages and screenshots, they look to be same.
So, what is the conclusion here? The conclusion here is we know Eusing Maze Lock and XUS PC Lock are the same program but we don’t know which one is the copy and which one is the original. We do, however, know Eusing Maze Lock  is freeware while XUS PC Lock  costs $29.95. So take your pick.
Article printed from dotTech: http://dottech.org
URL to article: http://dottech.org/99086/windows-xus-pc-lock-is-same-program-as-eusing-maze-lock/
URLs in this post:
 Eusing Maze Lock: http://dottech.org/99080/windows-review-eusing-maze-lock/
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_231920.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_234735.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_230213.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235026.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235152.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235203.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235157.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235207.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235435.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_235442.png
 Image: http://dottech.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-03-02_2352131.png
 XUS PC Lock: http://www.xussoft.com/xuspclock/index.html
© 2008-2012 dotTech.org | All content is the property of its rightful owner.