Countdown timer | Advice Corner | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering
guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

    

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Countdown timer
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 4, 2010
12:02 AM
Wheezer
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 786
Member Since:
May 28, 2009
Offline
1
0

Recently I downloaded and started using a countdown timer gadget that stays on my desktop. It looks good and I basically like everything about it except one thing: It’s not possible to run more than 1 timer at a time. Or at least I can’t find a way to do it. I’d like to be able to have 4 or 5 of these running to keep track of different things I’ve got coming up.

Here’s what it looks like:   I like the looks of it because it doesn’t look like it was made back in the 1970s.

I’m wondering if anyone has come across another program that looks this nice but can have more than 1 of them running at the same time.

The name of this one is simply “Timer,” I found it on bstdownload.com.

                       wheezertech.forumotion.com
July 4, 2010
3:55 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
March 19, 2010
Offline

Hey there, Wheezer! Just doing a bit of a search on this. I found a program called Marixo Timer, which you can get also as a portable application. I’m not sure if it can do multiple timers, but it looks pretty good and got the nod on Gizmo. The website is: http://www.marxio-tools.net/en…..-timer.php

There’s also TimeLeft: http://www.timeleft.info/

I had listed one called XNote Stopwatch, but I just learnt it was a paid program. Sorry.

Anyway hope the others are worth looking at. Have a good time with them (ugh – sorry, bad pun!).

 

 

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
July 4, 2010
5:04 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
March 19, 2010
Offline
3
0

Ok, been doing some more hunting around and found one called VersaTimer (“Up to 99 timer settings can be defined and saved”). It is free. You can get it at: http://download.cnet.com/VersaTimer/3000-2350_4-10162540.html

 

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
July 4, 2010
5:36 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
March 19, 2010
Offline

Here’s one more that looks interesting. It’s called TimeAfterTime (which leaves me with Cyndi Lauper singing in my head). According to the blurb: “TimeAfterTime is a powerful Multi-Timer application. You can launch upto 6 independent, simultaneous Timers – any combination of count up duration (once or recurring), count down duration (once or recurring), count to a time of day, or count as stopwatch.” It’s also freeware. You can check it out at: http://www.softpedia.com/get/P…..Time.shtml

I also found one called Peace Time (it’s not freeware, but having said that it only costs .99c). It looks interesting too. According to the blurb:

“Peace Time is a Stopwatch and Timer. The functions are simple. If you need to track the amount of time from start to end, then run the stopwatch. If you are counting down time, the switch over to the timer.

Features include:
– Customizable clocks for specific or routine task.
– The ability to preserve time tracking when the program is not running, including when the computer is off, via system time.
– Multiple instances of the program can be ran at the same time.
– Audio alert can be customized for each timer.
– A command can be executed on timer alert.
– The program can be executed with /f “timer name” parameter from a shortcut or command line.”

It’s available at: http://sites.google.com/site/privatetiersoftware/peacetime

 

 

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
July 4, 2010
7:39 AM
Gioneo
Geek
Forum Posts: 240
Member Since:
March 28, 2010
Offline

@Wheezer:

To have more than one running

- Right-click on the Timer

- Click on Add Gadgets

- Double-click on the Timer gadget

This will add as many timers as you want.

* Problem is all the timers synch to eachother… I’ll mess with it and see what happens.

As far as esthetics, it does look better than the alternatives.

July 4, 2010
8:43 AM
Conn Platt
Lancashire, England
Young Dude
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
September 27, 2009
Offline
6
0

Wheezer said:

Recently I downloaded and started using a countdown timer gadget that stays on my desktop. It looks good and I basically like everything about it except one thing: It’s not possible to run more than 1 timer at a time. Or at least I can’t find a way to do it. I’d like to be able to have 4 or 5 of these running to keep track of different things I’ve got coming up.

 


Hey thanks for this Wheezer, i’ve been looking for some kind of timer to keep track of things (i always plan on watching a movie then forget about itYell). So this should be very useful for me. Thanks
Difficult, to be sure…..but it shall be done!!
July 4, 2010
9:13 AM
Wheezer
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 786
Member Since:
May 28, 2009
Offline

Phoenix: I almost went for the peacetime one. I really like the way you can have it read a line of text you write when it runs out of time. The thing that made me decide to pass on it tho was the way it looks. Just doesn’t fit in very well on my desktop.

Thank you so very much for looking tho. I don’t think I’ll ever understand how you are always able to find so many options when my searches turn up only one or two.

Gioneo: Where did you find that info? I never saw that anywhere when I looked at the download page. Hmmm, maybe my eyesight is getting worse than I thought as my age increases. Wink

That is exactly what I wanted to do. And as you said, the esthetics of this timer is nicer than any of the others I’ve seen.

I’m not sure what you meant when you said that the timers synch to each other. I set up 3 timers, each with a different date and time, and they seem to be running right, to me anyway (see above comment about my eyesight tho).

I wish I could get them to be closer together without overlapping the timer name, but oh well, I’ll get used to it.

The added kick with this timer gadget is how well it matches the desktop weather gadget that I’m using, and then how good they look together with Fences which I also use. Take a look.

 

 

[Edited to add] – Conn09: One thing about this timer that I kinda wish was different is that when it reaches the end of the countdown, there is no audio alert at all.

For me there are times, like if I wanted to catch a movie on TV, where an audio alert would be a great thing to have.

For times like those I actually use two different calenders. The one you see in my screenshot is Rainlendar2 (http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php). The other one I use is Note Mania (http://www.utilhaven.com/nm/index.htm). The reason I use the Rainlendar2 calender is only because it can be on my desktop all the time and it looks good. Note Mania tho is the one I like using the most because it will pop up a note at a time I choose before an event, and I can choose any mp3 or wav file that’s on my computer to use as an audio alert.

                       wheezertech.forumotion.com
July 4, 2010
9:43 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
March 19, 2010
Offline

@ Wheezer: Happy to hear you were able to get it to work … Gioneo, you’re brilliant! And as for finding stuff, well I just like doing it when I’ve got the time on my hands. I kinda take it on as a mission. Sometimes some pretty interesting stuff turns up. Not always, but sometimes. But I always like to see a happy ending, no matter what …

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
July 4, 2010
10:03 AM
Wheezer
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 786
Member Since:
May 28, 2009
Offline
9
0

Phoenix: Speaking of interesting things that sometimes come up while searching, the site that I found the timer on has ton of different things that can be downloaded on it.

If you haven’t seen it before you might want to check it out. I’ve found all kinds of things that I didn’t know I needed on there.

http://www.bstdownload.com/

                       wheezertech.forumotion.com
July 4, 2010
10:09 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
March 19, 2010
Offline
10
0

@ Wheezer: Ooh, looks good. I can see this will keep me up for a while longer. I always head straight to the office tools – I’ve always got my eye out for progs that can make my work/study life easier. Thanks for the link!

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
July 4, 2010
11:54 AM
Gioneo
Geek
Forum Posts: 240
Member Since:
March 28, 2010
Offline
11
0

@Wheezer:

This is a pretty neat desktop. And that was an awesome link you posted. Like Phoenix said I see some very long nights ahead, pretty big amount of software to try.

As for that sync issue, for some reason the first couple of timers I added would sync with eachother (showing the same countdown)… Confused. A simple reboot solved it but it still bugs me as to why it was doing it in the first place.

@Phoenix:

Thanks! Wink    But that’s nothing compared to your “digging skills”…

July 4, 2010
3:00 PM
Conn Platt
Lancashire, England
Young Dude
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
September 27, 2009
Offline
12
0

Wheezer said:

[Edited to add] – Conn09: One thing about this timer that I kinda wish was different is that when it reaches the end of the countdown, there is no audio alert at all.

For me there are times, like if I wanted to catch a movie on TV, where an audio alert would be a great thing to have.

For times like those I actually use two different calenders. The one you see in my screenshot is Rainlendar2 (http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php). The other one I use is Note Mania (http://www.utilhaven.com/nm/index.htm). The reason I use the Rainlendar2 calender is only because it can be on my desktop all the time and it looks good. Note Mania tho is the one I like using the most because it will pop up a note at a time I choose before an event, and I can choose any mp3 or wav file that’s on my computer to use as an audio alert.


Yes i noticed that, when i almost missed family Guy – Something, Something, Something Dark Side. Confused FYI the calender that is built into Windows Vista and 7 (i still have Vista and am not upgrading till it dies) works perfectly for the warning stuff, you can set the reminders for it and it will pop up with whatever the message is and will also play a sound to notify you.
 

I may give Rainlendar a try as it was, after all, mentioned on Lifehacker several times i believe. And i noticed that a lot of people seem to like it.

 

Thanks for the suggestions, i’ll check ‘em outCool

 

Edit: OMG i completely forgot about fences and my desktop is getting messy, Thanks again Wheezer, looks like my memory starting to go too ;)

Difficult, to be sure…..but it shall be done!!
July 4, 2010
3:05 PM
Conn Platt
Lancashire, England
Young Dude
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
September 27, 2009
Offline
13
0

phoenix_rising said:

@ Wheezer: Ooh, looks good. I can see this will keep me up for a while longer. I always head straight to the office tools – I’ve always got my eye out for progs that can make my work/study life easier. Thanks for the link!


If you find anything very useful Phoenix please post it here, i’m always on the lookout for useful programs and office tools, especially since i’m going to college in SeptemberLaugh (we can go to college at 16 in the UK After we have left Secondary school)
Difficult, to be sure…..but it shall be done!!
July 4, 2010
3:23 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
14
0

Fences is great! I don’t know what I did before I had it. Now all my desktop icons are nicely organized. Well, except for the newer ones which I haven’t categorized yet.

July 4, 2010
3:25 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
15
0

@conn09 – Do you know what you are going to be studying at university yet?

July 4, 2010
3:41 PM
Conn Platt
Lancashire, England
Young Dude
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
September 27, 2009
Offline
16
0

karen said:

@conn09 – Do you know what you are going to be studying at university yet?


I’m not going to University yet KarenWink, the way it goes in the UK is Primary school at 4, leave at the age of 11, then start at Secondary school and leave at 16, then we can choose to go to college or get a job, i chose to go to college, after college we can then go to University if we want.

 

Anyway, at college, i am going to study IT (Information Technology i.e. Computers and programming, at least i hope we do programming), History (i love History), Law (i have no clue why i picked that), and Politics (thought it would be funny to argue with my parents about the UK’s political system, joking, it ties in well with History, as i would be studying political history).

 

Thats it, all A-Levels (the highest grade), we can only choose 4 A- levels BTW, so thats what i’m studying…………..i’m gonna have a lot of work to doFrown

Difficult, to be sure…..but it shall be done!!
July 4, 2010
4:00 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
17
0

@conn09 – thanks for the explanation. here in the US, college and university are used interchangably.

Although it varies by state here, in general we have primary school from about 5 – 11, middle school (also called junior high) from about 11 – 13, and high school from 14 – 17 (or 18). And then optionally, if you want to college or university.

July 4, 2010
6:41 PM
Conn Platt
Lancashire, England
Young Dude
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
September 27, 2009
Offline
18
0

karen said:

@conn09 – thanks for the explanation. here in the US, college and university are used interchangably.

Although it varies by state here, in general we have primary school from about 5 – 11, middle school (also called junior high) from about 11 – 13, and high school from 14 – 17 (or 18). And then optionally, if you want to college or university.


I just thought i’d explain because i notice a lot of people get it mixed up. Doesn’t matter, thankyou for explaining it to me, i didn’t fully know the American Educational system. No one ever explained it properly. So thanks.
Difficult, to be sure…..but it shall be done!!
July 4, 2010
6:55 PM
Conn Platt
Lancashire, England
Young Dude
Forum Posts: 167
Member Since:
September 27, 2009
Offline
19
0

Wheezer said:

 

The added kick with this timer gadget is how well it matches the desktop weather gadget that I’m using, and then how good they look together with Fences which I also use. Take a look.

 

 

[Edited to add] – Conn09: One thing about this timer that I kinda wish was different is that when it reaches the end of the countdown, there is no audio alert at all.

For me there are times, like if I wanted to catch a movie on TV, where an audio alert would be a great thing to have.

For times like those I actually use two different calenders. The one you see in my screenshot is Rainlendar2 (http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php). The other one I use is Note Mania (http://www.utilhaven.com/nm/index.htm). The reason I use the Rainlendar2 calender is only because it can be on my desktop all the time and it looks good. Note Mania tho is the one I like using the most because it will pop up a note at a time I choose before an event, and I can choose any mp3 or wav file that’s on my computer to use as an audio alert.


My turn, i reccomend for you Wheezer and anyone else out there, Samurize.

 

It’s a super Desktop Customizer, it was reviewed at lifehacker a while back, and after playing around with it, it is Awesome!

 

Look:

 

The white text is Samurize on my Desktop, it’s really useful, i use it on my Secondaryy Monitor. i can tell it to add any command prompt commands, such as Netstat and Processes, and do whatever i want:

 

http://lifehacker.com/software/plain-text/geek-to-live–incorporate-text-files-onto-your-desktop-213280.php

 

Thats the article about it and how to use it. Sorry it’s a rushed post it’s very late and i am supposed to be asleep right now, plus i’m very tired.

 

Difficult, to be sure…..but it shall be done!!
July 4, 2010
8:55 PM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
March 19, 2010
Offline
20
0

@ Conno9: Yep, will be sure to post if I find something good. One other thing, your desktop looks great (as does Wheezer’s). I’ve often thought of trying out something like that, but am worried about how much CPU it eats up. Can you advise?

@ Karen: Welcome back! Missed you!

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
21 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 549

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 13

Members: 11355

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 3256

Posts: 18960

Newest Members: sushilkher, DorreianpON0, olvelotedd, sunandoghosh, juneliu, ahdii

Administrators: Ashraf: 1800, Locutus: 1886, amnesia: 270

Comments