ICare Data Recovery: GOTD March 29th 2010. But. . . What is it really? | Freebies | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
ICare Data Recovery: GOTD March 29th 2010. But. . . What is it really?
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 29, 2010
11:51 AM
MikeR
Nerd
Forum Posts: 86

GOTD is today, Monday March 29th, offering data recovery software from iCare.

As is evident from another post elsewhere on this forum, GOTD is not the only one to be promoting this developer.

I have just postede the following on GOTD. If it is approved by the site's moderators, fine. If it isn't, then here it is in full:

When answering the doorbell, it's sensible to check carefully before inviting a stranger across the threshold.

Because you never know who that stranger might turn out to be.

Ditto with software: before inviting it onto your computer, it's wise to check if it's what it claims to be.

But there should be no need for wariness where today's iCare Data Recovery  is concerned. As iCare states on its website, this software is so good, it distinguished itself by winning a major award from a major computing magazine:

PC Authority Best Tech Awards 2009

As iCare also states, PC Authority — Australia's leading computing magazine, and one of the most respected worldwide — specifically said of iCare Data Recovery

Losing files is easy, but luckily to undelete them isn't much harder with this fantastic software. This is the best data recovery software for those who find themselves in a sticky situation. It's so easy even first timers shouldn't have trouble using this product.

According to iCare, this was published in the "November issue" — presumably, November 2009, seeing as how the quote is linked to PC Authority Best Tech Awards 2009. (Note: details of the awards themselves were published in PC Authority's January 2010 issue.)

With an award of that worth, from a magazine of that repute, iCare Data Recovery is very obviously the kind of stranger who really is most welcome to cross my doorstep, and his software be happily installed on my computer.

But then. . .

So too is RecoverMyFiles,  from the Australian software publisher GetData.

This is because — according to that developer's website — RecoverMyFiles earned 5 stars from PC Authority magazine in its issue of July 2008.

In awarding those five stars to RecoverMyFiles, PC Authority magazine is quoted as saying:

Losing files is easy, but luckily to undelete them isn't much harder with this fantastic software. This is the best data recovery software for those who find themselves in a sticky situation. It's so easy even first timers shouldn't have trouble using this product.

So.

One of the world's leading computing magazines published a review of file recovery software in July 2008 and November 2009 and said exactly the same — word for word — on both occasions even though the software appears to be from two quite different developers: one in Australia, the other from. . .?

Ah. Well.

Although GetData's / RecoverMyFiles' provenance is not obscured on any WHOIS search, iCare Data's most certainly is: WHOIS gets no further than "Protected Domain."

Questions now arise where today's GOTD is concerned:

1) Why is the developer of today's GOTD apparently so keen to keep its identity a secret ("Protected Domain")?

2) Why is iCare Data Recovery reassuring prospective users with a PC Authority magazine quote that most certainly did not appear in November 2009, but more than 12 months earlier. . . and in respect of an entirely different file recovery app?

Although we seem currently to be facing confusion rather than a clear-cut case of downright deceit, the fact remains that I am, like many, many GOTD users, sick, weary and tired of fraudulent software publishers who lie about their products' "awards" and their products' "reviews".

I am sure GOTD itself holds a similar view.

Obviously, many here have already DL'd and installed iCare Data Recovery. Good luck to 'em.

But before I do, I want to be sure that this stranger at my door is who he says he is, and that the software he would like me to install has indeed won all the awards, and earned all the glowing reviews, he says it has.

I feel sure iCare Data Recovery will be able to post here very soon to clarify the situation.

This is, after all, GOTD's software offer of the day.

If anyone on dot.tech is able to confirm that the iCare Data Recovery software and the RecoverMyFiles software is the same product from the same developer, that would be appreciated.

Or if anyone is able to confirm that the two software developers are the same, hat would also be appreciated.

As things stand, I am sick to death of fraudulent software 'publishers' and phony awards, phony reviews, and the general hucksterism of low-life slimeballs permeating the Internet.

I hope today's GOTD iCare Data Recovery isn't another example.

March 29, 2010
12:01 PM
Someguy
Geek
Forum Posts: 104

"Award winning and recommended by PC Utilities, PC Pro, PC Answers, PCeditors etc."

If you search Google there is no such magazine as PCeditors.

March 29, 2010
12:04 PM
Someguy
Geek
Forum Posts: 104

This software deserves to go to the Keeping Them Honest section.

March 29, 2010
2:15 PM
jumbi
Geek
Forum Posts: 236

so you do not recommend it finally?

March 29, 2010
3:59 PM
Pwnana
Geek
Forum Posts: 238

Lol what would a PC editor be?

I completely ignored the last GOTD (the registry fixer) because it just looked like scareware to me.  Todays seemed like the same thing, as you have researched.

You got Pwnd
March 29, 2010
4:30 PM
Gvape
Nerd
Forum Posts: 86

dunno what a PC editor is :P

But, this doesn't look like anything I want.

Guh-vah-pay
March 29, 2010
7:25 PM
Ashraf
Mr. Boss
Forum Posts: 1791

iCare Data Recovery is either a reseller of EASEUS Data Recovery or sold by EASEUS under another name. The product itself, actually, is not that bad (although it is nothing special either). However the developer's tactics of posting false awards is down right low. Check your e-mail please MikeR.

P.S. MikeR the reason you see "Post edited 7:13 PM – March 29, 2010 by Ashraf" message above your post is not because I changed what you wrote. Rather, I just made a simple edit so the post would show properly.

March 29, 2010
7:45 PM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899

@ MikeR: Really good detective work there, Mike. Thanks so much for going to all this effort. I was curious about what you wrote, so I called up PCAuthority magazine and can find no such review of either product, despite the search going back two years. And while it may well be a decent product, this type of behaviour is just plain wrong (assuming that I haven't just overlooked the reviews somehow – in which case I will happily eat my words). But until then, I sure as heck won't be putting it on my comp.

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
March 30, 2010
12:46 AM
Jeanjean
Belgium
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 434

Finally, (good) reactions to my post here from March 19 (lol) ! Embarassed

March 30, 2010
4:04 AM
ebony
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 548

Now see this is what I am talking about when I say you get good intelligent information around here. Cool

You get the 411, the good, the bad, the ugly and the under handedness used by some aggressive SW developers.

When I walk away from this site, two things happen. My head hurts and I feel smart. Laugh

Ebony

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
42 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 612

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 7523

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2192

Newest Members: Enkosa bayisa, Alidottech, mpohl, zlineking, Bruiser1, deepu

Administrators: Ashraf (1741), Locutus (1886), amnesia (270)

Comments