Hi guys 'n' gals, the recent article by Locutus reminded me of a great Freeware app that I used with much success on my XP desktop. Unfortunately my current laptop/Vista installation is not behaving, but that may be a problem with my setup – a few things are behaving oddly recently ;-)
Networx, from http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ includes Ping, Trace Route, and NetStat along with the tools to keep track of bandwidth utilization. "…use it to collect bandwidth usage data and measure the speed of your Internet or any other network connection. NetWorx can help you identify possible sources of network problems, ensure that you do not exceed the bandwidth limits specified by your ISP, or track down suspicious network activity characteristic of Trojan horses and hacker attacks.
- Clear graphic and/or numeric display.
- Usage reports with export to a variety of file formats, including Excel, MS Word and HTML.
- Permits close supervision of uploads and downloads.
- Works with dial-up, ISDN, cable modems, ADSL, Ethernet cards, and more.
- Includes network information & testing tools with advanced netstat that displays applications using your Internet connection.
- Scalable to your own modem download capabilities.
- Option to notify user or disconnect from the Internet automatically when network activity exceeds a certain level.
- Speed meter to accurately time downloads and report the average transfer rates.
(above from their site)
I hope some one with a better understanding than I can take a good look at this offering and offer their review, but I found found it very handy when it was working on my old machine.
Just as an addendum to the above, I should say that it is now working perfectly – I just had to change the monitoring setting from "All connections" to my specific network adaptor and check "Ignore local traffic within the LAN".
It now accurately monitors, and warns when I am nearing the end of my allocated bandwidth, or use an abnormal amount in one day.
Seems good to me, I'm a little surprised that no one else has checked it out. It's amazing how much data gets sent from programs for no obvious reason! (RVS for example has lost favour with me due to this practice)
October 22, 2008
July 14, 2009
September 27, 2009
This tool deserves front page recognition. I will post about it soon.
I agree, it looks amazing, i may give it a try, although i do like the good old Command line for Netstat, but i'll take a look, it may be very useful.
Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 11
Newest Members: firstname.lastname@example.org, KeithYocum, tenlek25, elenacamila1, boy manbara, kapak
Administrators: Ashraf (1799), Locutus (1886), amnesia (270)