Warning: fopen(/home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-cache/sp-plugin-scripts-footer.js): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-plugins.php on line 745

Warning: fopen(/home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-cache/sp-plugin-styles-all.css): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-plugins.php on line 534

* jvPowertools 2012: make a small donation to a charity and it's yours for free* (limited time offer) | Freeware Software | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS Related Topics
* jvPowertools 2012: make a small donation to a charity and it's yours for free* (limited time offer)
February 3, 2012
7:08 AM
MikeR
Nerd
Forum Posts: 93

As fellow dot techies will know, I've long sung the praises of jv16 Powertools. The software has its genesis in the first registry cleaner ever created by an independent developer: Jouni Vuorio, who was aged 16 back in 1998 when his little freeware app was originally launched (jv16 Powertools takes its name from his initials and his age.)

Nowadays, of course, jv16Powertools is far more than a registry cleaner; it's very much the gold standard against which all other commercial and free computer management and optimization software should be compared. Me, I've probably tried 'em all over time, but have repeatedly gone back to jv16Powertools because of its safety and innate conservatism: never once has it screwed up any computer I've used it on, unlike certain other 'optimization' suites.

The $30 2012 edition of jv16Powertools is available from Jouni's now highly successful Finnish company, Macecraft, as here:

http://www.macecraft.com/

However, what the home page doesn't reveal is that elsewhere on the website is this:

http://www.macecraft.com/donation-promo/

Simply donate $7 to a Finnish charity which Macecraft is trying to support, and Macecraft will in return provide jv16Powertools for free (the full, 2012 commercial edition.)

Based on my many years of using this particular software, I'd have to say it's still the best of its kind around; to acquire it for just $7 AND help a good cause at the same time seems an excellent feel-good proposition.

February 3, 2012
12:12 PM
Sputnik
Novice
Forum Posts: 7

A $7 donation to a Finnish charity is certainly a good action…

But before using the 2011 and the next 2012 jv16 PowerTools versions, one is advised to take a look at some other advises about this product.

Look here : http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/jv16-PowerTools-2011/987567453/1#reviews

February 4, 2012
8:34 AM
jayesstee
Kent, England
Geek
Forum Posts: 193

Sputnik said:

A $7 donation to a Finnish charity is certainly a good action…

But before using the 2011 and the next 2012 jv16 PowerTools versions, one is advised to take a look at some other advises about this product.

Look here : http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/jv16-PowerTools-2011/987567453/1#reviews

I have 2011 jv16 PowerTools and it is worth $7 for the 'Registry Finder' function alone.  With this you can search the registry for all references to a word, words or any alphanumeric group.  This finds all the occurrences and allows you to (optionally) back up all that you select for deletion.  If it thinks that deletion of a particular key will damage the OS, it warns you.  This is essential for removing the detritius left behind after un-installation of programs by even the best uninstallers.

Yes you can search and delete with Regedit, but it's one at a time, with no backup reminder and no warnings

Just for this function, a bargain!  Yell

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot are fools and those who dare not are slaves.

February 4, 2012
10:11 AM
MikeR
Nerd

Hi Jayesstee: yup, couldn't agree more, the 'Registry Finder'function has also proved invaluable in my case. And as with everything in jv16Powertools, what constantly impresses is the sheer conservatism of the product: rather than entice with one-click 'magic fixes' it always and unfailingly counsels caution and even flags up warnings if it thinks you're about to do something silly.

Sputnik: thanks for that link, but really. . .  All I can say, quite truthfully, is that my experience of this type of app has been that jv16Powertools never, ever attempts to find the most / do the most / impress the most. Nor does it ever fail to remind the user that before she / he does anything, then please think and re-think, and if in doubt, then leave things well alone. It's long been a software notable as much for what it does as what it helps to stop a user from doing. On which basis, I can't fathom the criticisms levelled at it in that link, because not one of the posters is honest enough to explain what actually happened, what warnings they were or were not given, and what actions they themselves took -- as is so often the case here -- to be the architects of their own disasters. Criticism without explanation isn't criticism at all.

February 4, 2012
12:48 PM
jayesstee
Kent, England
Geek

Hi MikeR:  I endorse everything you said.  I never thought about it before, but jv16Powertools does treat you as a capable 'grown-up'.  The negative posters on Sputnik's link obviously like the 'let us do it for you' approach.

Incidently, I also have 'IOBit Toolbox' (which I would rate as a very average maintenance/tweaking program), but in its installed firectory/folder it has some possibly useful tools which don't all appear in the Toolbox launcher.  I just found 'Sun13_EmptyFoldersScanner.exe' which is neat simple app. which soes efficiently what it says in its title.  I think they may all be 'portable', i.e. not installed.  Surprised

Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot are fools and those who dare not are slaves.

February 4, 2012
3:46 PM
Sputnik
Novice

@Jayesstee & MikeR

Hi, you two, super geeks !

I know that you perfectly understand that I didn't wrote myself all the comments we can read on the site for which I gave the link.

The comments which are highly negative on this site about jv16 are clearly from people who, like Jayesstee said, like the 'let us do it for you' approach.

There are full of people like this in this world and my comment was intented at their attention.

I was not thinking about guys like you when I wrote my previous comment, c'mon !!! ;-)

February 5, 2012
5:20 AM
MikeR
Nerd

Jayesstee: thanks for that heads-up, just goes to show what can be found under the hood with a little bit of searching! Smile

I, sadly, am still the victim of my own daftness where iObit software is concerned, because I was quite a fan of that developer for many years and happily used many of its products. But then came the launch of a new iObit Internet security app -- can't remember the name -- which the company featured prominently on its website along with astonishingly favourable reviews from internally renowned publications.

One such review was from Forbes. I'd never previously encountered any software review in Forbes and couldn't understand why it had chosen to go down this path. Turned out, it hadn't. The review was a lie. So were all the other reviews of that product on the iObit website.

Not long after, iObit withdrew the page, though without a word of explanation or apology. And not long after that, iObit found itself accused of theft by Malwarebytes, with the latter actually threatening the former with legal action if it didn't delete Malwarebytes' intellectual property (in this case, virus definitions) from a particular iObit product. iObit was quick to deny everything, but then moderated its stance to admit that it was "possible" that some Malwarebytes code had inexplicably found its way into iObit's. Yeah. Right. Happens all the time, I'm sure. Malwarebytes quite rightly refused to accept this arrant nonsense and finally, finally, iObit was forced to rewrite its own product. But iObit didn't apologise, didn't admit to any wrong-doing, and -- as with the mysterious ficitious 'reviews' it featured in support of that newly launched security product --  simply carried on as if nothing had happened.

I stripped my computers of every piece of iObit software there and then and haven't gone near the company since. I know it's probably cutting-off-one's-nose-to-spite-one's-face because in truth, iObit produces some decent software. But I'd rather not be a user or customer of a software developer that was first, a proven liar and then, an alleged thief. (But that's just me being a bit bonkers, really. Laugh )

Sputnik:  I never thought you were having a go at me re jv16Powertools; the link you posted was fully merited and it's not your fault that those whose comments featured in that link were never honest enough to say exactly what had happened to their computers as a result of whatever actions they themselves had carried out. My remark about criticism without explanation isn't criticism at all was directed at them -- not you, Sputnik. Embarassed Apologies then, for failing to make myself clear -- Jeez, I do that a lot, though! -- because people like you who go to the trouble of providing links to external sources are acting very much in the interests of fellow dot techies. Sorry for any confusion caused! Confused

February 5, 2012
12:42 PM
jayesstee
Kent, England
Geek

Hi MikeR:  Thanks for the information.  I totally understand why you have taken your stance over IOBit.  I now have to decide whether to follow your example.  I wonder if all the tools in the toolbox were developed or legitimately obtained by them?  I guess there are enough honest freebies out there for it to be a no-brainer!  IOBit must go!  Embarassed

February 5, 2012
1:21 PM
MikeR
Nerd

Hi Jayestee: Oh no-oooo, no-oooo. . . It's one thing me being a bit, well, bonkers about this sort of thing, quite another to go around striking moral poses. I hate that, everybody's different and no one person should set themselves up as an arbiter of what someone else should like or should do.

I had a particular reason for being seriously angry with iObit because on the developer's forum there was a concerted effort to frustrate critics such as myself (a forum member) with smarmy answers and a lot of dissembling, though to what extent that was 'directed' by the developer itself, I dunno. It's just that the Forbes magazine 'review' was so blatantly a lie, it annoyed the hell out of me in that I felt, somehow, my own trust had just been abused.

But what I happen to feel or think is of no consequence to an outfit the size of iObit, and me departing the forum and then having nothing further to do with any iObit products will have definitely made 'em sit up and think -- yeah, right, dream on. So really, it was just me and a silly 'personal thing'; there's absolutely no reason why, if you're using iObit software and enjoying it, not to continue to do so.

It's not about ethics or morality or anything, well, er, noble: I was, to put it somewhat bluntly, pissed off with iObit and have stayed pissed off ever since. For Gawd's sakes though, history's history; in the years since the great phony reviews debacle and the bust-up with Malwarebytes over intellectual property theft, it's as like as not the case that iObit has indeed learned its lesson, so that nowadays there's no reason at all not to trust it as a reliable and responsible developer.

February 6, 2012
9:40 AM
Sputnik
Novice

Hi, MikeR !

I've got nothing against you, MikeR.

In my previous comment I wrote : "I know that you perfectly understand that I didn't wrote myself all the comments we can read on the site for which I gave the link".

Also, if you look correctly, I have put a  " ;-) "  at the end of this previous comment.

Concerning the comments that we can see on the FileForum site, you complain about the fact that "not one of the posters is honest enough to explain what actually happened, what warnings they were or were not given, and what actions they themselves took — as is so often the case here — to be the architects of their own disasters".

You're absolutely right on the point that these people don't give any explanation but you seem to presume that these people were "the architectes of their own disasters". Here, maybe you're right, maybe you're not… Maybe, at least, some of these people followed correctly what was proposed by jv16 before the disaster happened… Who knows ?

Personally, I remember that I read a couple of times about the fact that it is better not to clean the registry than the contrary and if my memories are good, Mark Russinovich was one of the people who gave this notice…

I used to clean my registry and even if I only cleaned what was advised by these kind of software, I never stopped to have trouble with my computer. Recently (4 months ago) I have re-installed my whole OS and never cleaned my registry since : I have no more troubles since that time with my computer and it runs faster and smoother than before…

February 6, 2012
9:50 AM
jayesstee
Kent, England
Geek

Hi MikeR:  Thanks again but you were not canvassing against IOBit, just telling it how you saw it.

I have had a look around the net (including /tipsntricks/keeping-them-honest/13126/) and it I have made up my mind to remove it.  The fact that they removed the disputed definitions but never admitted or apologised, gives me little confidence that they own all the tools in the toolbox.

Even if it is only you and me, it all counts!

By the way, I think we should stop on this subject, because (and I started it) we are badly off-post. Embarassed

February 22, 2012
11:15 PM
acr
Novice
Forum Posts: 3

It should be noted on the PayPal "donation" page for the "charity" the name of the recipient is "Kansallinen Edistyspuolue".  Translated to English is National Progressive Party of Finland, a political party.  I contacted macecraft with a complaint because I felt the donation was misleading.  I got a response that they will look into it, but they have done nothing.  I will not use JV16 nor recommend it to anyone until they change this policy.

February 23, 2012
9:44 AM
jayesstee
Kent, England
Geek

acr said:

It should be noted on the PayPal "donation" page for the "charity" the name of the recipient is "Kansallinen Edistyspuolue".  Translated to English is National Progressive Party of Finland, a political party.  I contacted macecraft with a complaint because I felt the donation was misleading.  I got a response that they will look into it, but they have done nothing.  I will not use JV16 nor recommend it to anyone until they change this policy.

I agree, they are not being very open by not stating that it is a Political Party.  According to Wikipedia, Kansallinen Edistyspuolue was a liberal, centrist party until it disbanded in 1951.  So who is this new outfit?

For what it's worth, Macecraft have issued an email containing the statement:

"The organization is called Edistyspuolue. It's a non-profit organization which promotes and defends civil liberties in Finland."

The full email can be found at:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/142935-Special-Offer-From-Jouni-Vuorio

March 28, 2012
4:54 AM
blue
Novice
Forum Posts: 10

FWIW, those liking the registry finder portion of jv16 might want to try these alternatives as well; both are free

ToolWiz Care – In addition to being a great free alternative utility suite, it also has a 'Super Registry' program (in the Tools section of ToolWiz) that doesn't use the standard system calls and (therefor) allows you to easily access the entire registry. It's able to find a lot of material left over from previous uninstalls, for instance (including -- if you know where to look -- the entries left by various nefarious copy protection schemes like armadillo that clutter your registry with items that you'd prefer it didn't; something most others cannot do. The infamous Trial Reset 4 can do it but that raises all sorts of false positive -- as far as I can tell – antivirus flags).

http://www.toolwiz.com/

Registrar Lite Registry Editor – This is the free version of one of the original 3rd party registry editors and, for the cost of clicking a nag dialog as you exit, gives you almost all of the features of the paid program including a *fast* keyword search *and delete* function. 

http://download.cnet.com/Registrar-Lite/3000-18512_4-30222.html 

IMHO, each easily surpasses JV16 

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
39 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Newest Members: Cassiopenon2, bobby26, OldAudio, Bilal.jamil, jamessimon, frankforbes

Administrators: Ashraf (1799), Locutus (1886), amnesia (270)

Comments