5/25/2010 GOTD reg page | Giveaway of the Day reviews | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
5/25/2010 GOTD reg page
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 25, 2010
3:53 AM
Adrian
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 546

Today’s giveaway of GOTD is the Drive Copy 9.5 from Paragon Software. The best thing about it is that you can keep the installer after you extract it, and use the product key provided at the following page: (requires email)

http://www.paragon-software.com/registration/dc95pers.html

P.s. When you install, you will find that it installs to “Paragon_Software” instead of the usual “Paragon Software”. So if you want to keep your folders organized, perhaps you might want to change that.

May 25, 2010
4:13 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 899

Has anyone got any freeware alternatives to this prog? I’d be interested in checking them out.

“Peace if possible, truth at all costs.” – Martin Luther King Jr
May 25, 2010
7:05 AM
ebony
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 548

I was hoping someone would do a review of it other than it features.

Such as its usefulness

Under what circumstance would the “average” end user find it helpful

How much mileage would I get out of it, ie daily weekly monthly or once in a blue moon.

Those are just things I would like to know about when I see posting re SW.

I know everyone’s time is limited so a phrase or two will suffice.

EbonyCool

May 25, 2010
7:24 AM
Gioneo
Geek
Forum Posts: 240

As per the developer ” a portable clone of your pc “. The idea is interesting enough. Being able to replicate you pc exactly the way it is and using a thumb drive, use it on a different pc virtually.

Basically take your home pc and use it on your work pc without changing anything…  Confused

I’ll give it a go. I’m curious to see how it stands against Remote Desktop.

May 25, 2010
7:41 AM
Gioneo
Geek

ebony said:

I was hoping someone would do a review of it other than it features.

Such as its usefulness

Under what circumstance would the “average” end user find it helpful

How much mileage would I get out of it, ie daily weekly monthly or once in a blue moon.

Those are just things I would like to know about when I see posting re SW.

I know everyone’s time is limited so a phrase or two will suffice.

EbonyCool

If the average end-user needs to have constant access to its home pc wherever he or she goes (like me) then this program should be very handy since you can have your home pc ” in your pocket “. I do (and prefer) remote desktop on my pc ALOT, so just imagine as incredible it may sound, I end up somewhere and I have no way to access my pc (no internet connection). This would be a particular case I would wish I had my system and all my files (just the way I like them!) readily available on a usb stick.

Now as far as mileage, that only depends on the user. Like I said, this is something I would probably use very often.

Another good selling point is that you won’t need to change anything on the host pc.

May 25, 2010
7:50 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie

@ Gioneo: What size USB stick do you need to do this? I have an 8GB disc (mind you, half of that is already used).

May 25, 2010
9:21 AM
Gioneo
Geek

phoenix_rising said:

@ Gioneo: What size USB stick do you need to do this? I have an 8GB disc (mind you, half of that is already used).

It wil depend on the actual size of your system.

For example my system size is 46.1GB on the disk, it created a clone of 11.9GB.

It’s running as I’m writing this. I’ll post later on how long the process took.

May 25, 2010
9:35 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie

@ Gioneo: Ok thanks. That would be great. I have 130Gb on my C: so I doubt there would be a USB big enough to fit it on.

May 25, 2010
9:47 AM
Gioneo
Geek

Ok. The process took about 10mns and the actual size of the virtual drive is 12.1GB. Now I’ll go load it on the pc at work and see how it runs (I’ll use VMware).

@ Phoenix_rising: Just a reminder it will not clone the entire drive, but only the “used space”. If that’s really the amount of space you’re using on ur drive, well definitly yes, you will need a bigger USB drive!

May 25, 2010
10:58 AM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie

@ Gioneo: Yep, that is the size of the used space on my hard drive. I guess this one isn’t going to work for me then. But thanks for the information. Appreciated.

May 25, 2010
11:27 AM
ebony
dotTechie

phoenix_rising said:

@ Gioneo: Ok thanks. That would be great. I have 130Gb on my C: so I doubt there would be a USB big enough to fit it on.

That would be great however I have the same problem as you PR, 134 GB use on HD and only a 16 GB stick and not all of it is free. I guess this would be a good excuse to go out and get a bigger one. I have not be able to justify buying one until now. BUT, I have lived this long without needing PC when I am away from home so I guess that is not a real reason to buy one now.LaughLaugh

@Gioneo

That is an excellent review and just what I needed to make an informed decision of to DL or not to DL.LaughLaugh  Great job and thank you very much.

EbonyCool

May 25, 2010
12:43 PM
Wheezer
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 786

Phoenix_Rising & Ebony: In my limited experience with making an image of my hard drive, which I was originally wanting to save on a usb thumbdrive, I found that if I went thru the steps of setting up the copy, most of the different programs I tried would tell me aprox. what the file size would be after compression. I think Paragon was one of those programs that did tell me in advance.

So you might, might be able to get your image onto a 16 or 18GB thumbdrive. Which thankfully here in the US isn’t all that expensive.

I bought a 1TB external hard drive instead tho, so now I don’t worry about a thumbdrive for that task.

wheezertech.forumotion.com
May 25, 2010
12:56 PM
ebony
dotTechie

Wheezer said:

So you might, might be able to get your image onto a 16 or 18GB thumbdrive.

I bought a 1TB external hard drive instead tho, so now I don’t worry about a thumbdrive for that task.

I have the 16GB thumbdrive and the 1 TB external, however, I have come to the conclusion that if I were to get this SW, it would be out of greed not need.LaughLaugh

EbonyCool

May 25, 2010
3:45 PM
Gioneo
Geek

The program will definitly tell you beforehand how big (approx.) your image will be before creating it.

In real honesty it’s preferable to have a “large” portable usb drive handy for this kind of stuff, like a wd passport for example.

But the program doesn’t really justify the cost of getting one if you don’t have it already, since they are other alternatives (free) to the idea such as Remote Desktop.

May 25, 2010
3:50 PM
Gioneo
Geek

ebony said:

@Gioneo

That is an excellent review and just what I needed to make an informed decision of to DL or not to DL.LaughLaugh  Great job and thank you very much.

EbonyCool

Embarassed  Oh stop…

May 25, 2010
5:28 PM
jumbi
Geek
Forum Posts: 236

thanks a lot for the info :-)

May 25, 2010
6:33 PM
Gioneo
Geek

Wink

May 25, 2010
6:53 PM
phoenix_rising
dotTechie

@ Everyone: Thanks for all the info on this. It’s been really helpful. I’ve learnt a lot.

@ Wheezer: I’ve only seen those 16GB USBs in a couple of places here, and they’re a bit expensive at the moment (in terms of what I can afford, anyway). Funny how fast things change, though. In 2004 we were given our first USB disks at my then workplace. They were … drum roll … a whopping 32MB (and in the country I live in, they were the staggering equivalent of $60). We thought they were amazing and there was lots of ooh-ing and aah-ing in our office. I carried mine around like it was a precious gem. So I imagine that in a couple of years 16GB will be ho-hum and you’ll be able to buy them for next to nothing.

May 25, 2010
6:56 PM
ebony
dotTechie

Gioneo said:

Embarassed  Oh stop…

I only said it because it is true. I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to explain in PLAIN speak, I don’t always follow the GEEK speak.Confused
So there LaughLaughLaugh

EbonyCool

May 25, 2010
7:01 PM
ebony
dotTechie

phoenix_rising said:

Funny how fast things change, though. In 2004 we were given our first USB disks at my then workplace. They were … drum roll … a whopping 32MB 

You made me think of my first USB, (I had to dig it out). It was a whopping 64MB and I too was proud to have it. Even though I had nothing to put on it.LaughLaugh I was like the guy who wore his garage door opener on his belt, so he could look he was carrying a beeper.LaughLaugh

EbonyCool

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
35 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647