I’m sharing my custom launcher and a guide how to make portable package (PP).
About Evernote (from evernote.com)
Keep everything in sync
With Evernote, all of your notes, web clips, files and images are made available on every device and computer you use.
Remember things you like
Save everything cool and exciting you see online and in the real world. Snap a photo, record some audio and save it.
Save favorite webpages
Save entire webpages to your Evernote account with our nifty web clipper browser extensions. You get the whole page: text, images and links.
Collect information from anywhere into a single place. From text notes to web pages to files to snapshots, everything is always at your fingertips.
Work with friends and colleagues
Share your notes and collaborate on projects with friends, colleagues and classmates.
Plan your next trip
Keep all of your itineraries, confirmations, scanned travel documents, maps, and plans in Evernote, so you’ll have them when you need them.
About the Launcher
• Launcher makes Evernote fully portable.
• You can use 'Evernote.ini' file (App folder in PP) to configure the launcher.
Launcher Options (Evernote.ini)
Run Evernote When Windows Starts - enables EP to start with Windows. Launcher puts startup reg value in the registry.
Option is disabled by default.
Local - this option is used to set running mode of EP. Two modes are available.
1. Isolated mode: Local=0
2. Local mode: Local=1
When you are running EP in Isolated mode, EP's profile folders and files "stay" in PP: %UserProfile% is redirected to App folder in your PP.
When you want to export, import,… some files,…, use My Computer as starting point. Desktop and My Documents folders are in your PP -> DO NOT use them as saving,… locations.
Let's say you want to export some note to your Desktop. File menu -> Export. Evernote will offer you to choose an action. When you will hit Export, Explorer's Save As window will open. Go:
(XP) My Computer -> system drive -> Documents and Settings -> user (you) -> Desktop;
(7) My Computer -> system drive -> Users -> user (you) -> Desktop.
Running EP in Local mode means that only while your are using EP, EP's profile folders and files are placed from your PP to local computer.
Isolated mode is enabled by default.
Show Tray Icon - when enabled, Evernote icon is showed in the task bar notification area.
Note: When Run Evernote When Windows Starts is enabled, Show Tray Icon option is ignored.
Show Tray Icon option is enabled by default.
Keep Running In Tray - when enabled, Evernote is minimized to tray when you close the main window. You can use this only when Show Tray Icon is enabled.
This option is enabled by default.
MD5: 37ED10399CFC0350939CD65C856A2762 (zip archive)
• Extract 'Evernote_Portable_Launcher.zip' to location of your choice (USB,…).
• If you have already installed Evernote, than just copy all folders and files from the main Evernote directory:
(XP) %UserProfile% -> Local Settings -> Application Data -> Apps -> Evernote -> Evernote;
(7) %UserProfile% -> AppData -> Local -> Apps -> Evernote -> Evernote;
(7 x64) X:Program Files (x86) -> Evernote -> Evernote
to Evernote Portable -> App folder in your PP.
To copy your local Evernote's profile, copy everything in:
(XP) %UserProfile% -> Local Settings -> Application Data -> Evernote -> Evernote;
(7) %UserProfile% -> AppData -> Local -> Evernote -> Evernote
to Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile folder.
Run the installer and then cancel the installation process or you can try to extract the contents of installer with Universal Extractor
Either way the 'Evernote.msi
' will be extracted to your %Temp% folder.
• Extract the contents of 'Evernote.msi' (in your %Temp% folder) with Universal Extractor to e.g. %Temp% folder. Copy/move all folders and files from [ApplicationFolderName]
folder (it's in Evernote -> PFiles -> Evernote
folder) to Evernote Portable -> App
folder in your PP.
• Use 'EC-Evernote.exe' in Evernote Portable folder to start Evernote Portable.
About Settings, EP's Profile Folders & Files
• EP's settings are saved in 'rs.reg' file.
• EP's profile folders and files (Databases, *.snippets,…) are in Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile folder.
• You can reduce the size of your PP by deleting files that you won't need.
You can delete all dictionaries that you won't need in Dict folder (or you can add the ones that are missing).
• If you are going to use English UI you can remove entire Intl folder or you can delete just UI lang files that you won't use.
• You can safely compress files at max with UPX. --compress-icons=0 *.exe.
Note: DO NOT compress these three files: 'EvernoteIE.dll', 'EvernoteOL.dll' and 'Resource.dll'.
The PP size – after applying the above tips – should be around 30 MB (the extracted 'Evernote.msi' is ~130 MB).