Firefox's about:config | Reviews/Tutorials | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering
guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

    

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Firefox's about:config
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 6, 2010
5:15 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
1
0

For those who don't know, Firefox has a feature that is sort of like Window's registry.  Although less dangerous to mess with.  The most that you can screw up is the browser itself.  It has lots and lots of options that you can change to further customize FF.  Some of these are exposed through the FF Options menu and some are manipulated by various plug-ins.  But you can also go in and change them directly yourself.

Open up a new tab and type "about:config".  You will get a very long list with 4 columns "Preference Name", "Status", "Type", "Value".

For preferences that have a "Type" of "boolean", double-clicking will change the value.  For "Type" of "String", you can type in the new value. 

Here are some that I think are interesting to change (and safe).  FYI, I'm running FF
3.6.


app.update.auto – whether FF automatically downloads and updates itself

browser.allTabs.previews – adds a button to the right of all the tabs, that when clicked will bring up a popup window showing thumbnails of all your open tabs.  Click a thumbnail to go to that tab.

browser.ctrlTab.previews – if true, then holding Ctrl and pressing Tab will bring up the same preview window as the the above browser.allTabs.previews except that it will show a configurable number of thumbnails, not all of them.  Then a link at the bottom of the popup allows you to show all open tabs which looks like the above option.  Enabling this option will also change FF default ctrl-tab behavior.  Instead of cycling thru all open tabs, a quick Ctrl-Tab will switch to the most recently visited tab.

browser.ctrlTab.mostRecentlyUsed – if you don't want the previews in the option above, but you do want ctrl-tab to go to the most recent tab rather than cycling thru them, then enabled this option

browser.blink_allowed – turns off annoying blinking links

browser.cache.* – various options for how your cache is handled, how much disk space it uses, etc.

browser.download.dir – where your downloads go by default (this can be set in the interface)

browser.download.manager.addToRecentDocs – whether a downloaded file gets added to your recent files list

browser.tabs.autohide – this option hides the tab bar when there is only one tab open

broswer.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent – if true, then new tabs open next to the "parent" tab.  if false, new tabs always open at the end

browser.taskbar.preview.enable – if you are on Win7, then if you have multiple tabs open, the hovering over the icon in the taskbar will show thumbnails of the open tabs (IE8 also does this by default).

browser.triple_click_selects_paragraph – just like it sounds. useful if you copy a lot of stuff from the web.

dom.max_script_run_time – how long javascript is allowed to run before FF pops up a warning (long running scripts are usually in error or something is wrong)

extensions.* – options related to any add-ons you have installed.  Some extensions may have options in other locations.  Also, FF doesn't appear to be very good about cleaning about:config up when you uninstall add-ons.

 

More to come …

March 6, 2010
5:44 PM
Wheezer
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 786
Member Since:
May 28, 2009
Offline
2
0

Now this is a helpful post! Something that rookies like me can playwith, and not totally mess up my computer. Reinstalling FF is easy compared to the whole OS.

Thanks Karen! Smile

                       wheezertech.forumotion.com
March 6, 2010
5:55 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
3
0

html5.enable – forces the Gecko engine behind FF to use the new standard html5 for parsing html

javascript.enabled – I wouldn't actually recommend this, but setting it to false turns off all javascript in the browser (dotTech will not work without javascript)

media.enforce_same_site_origin – if true, then media on a site won't play if it doesn't come from the same site (i.e., a youtube video embedded in dottech forum would not play)

middlemouse.* – a few options for what should happen if you click the middle mouse button (or the scroll wheen).  The default is middlemouse.openNewWindow which opens a new tab if you right-click on a link on a page.  Another useful option could be middlemouse.paste.  Obviously, you can only have one active middlemouse option.

network.http.max-connections – how many http connections your browser keeps open at once.  The default (30) is usually fine, but if you are on a slower connection, lowering this number may help reduce HTTP Connection timeouts

 

There's lot more options, so feel free to experiment.   I would stay away from the gecko.* ones though.

March 6, 2010
6:09 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
4
0

And there's other "about:" page you might be interested in:

about: – Either of these, will give you version
information concerning your build of Firefox.

about:blank -
Displays a blank page. (can be a useful setting for your home page)

about:plugins – Displays a page listing
the names and information of allinstalled plugins.

about:cache -
Displays cache service information.

about:cache?device=memory -
Displays information about the memory usage, with each entry listed
individually.

about:cache?device=disk – Same as above
but displays the items cached to your disk along with cache location on
disk and again the listing of cached items.

about:credits – Lists people
who contributed to Mozilla.

about:license – Displays
the EULA.

March 6, 2010
7:50 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
5
0

@Karen:  In the Wordpress admin page, do you see an option for a new post? You could write an article about those :D

Oh, the site that was :(
March 6, 2010
8:16 PM
Ramesh Kumar
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 390
Member Since:
February 1, 2010
Offline

karen said:

For those who don't know, Firefox has a feature that is sort of like Window's registry.  Although less dangerous to mess with.  The most that you can screw up is the browser itself.  It has lots and lots of options that you can change to further customize FF.  Some of these are exposed through the FF Options menu and some are manipulated by various plug-ins.  But you can also go in and change them directly yourself.

Open up a new tab and type "about:config".  You will get a very long list with 4 columns "Preference Name", "Status", "Type", "Value".

For preferences that have a "Type" of "boolean", double-clicking will change the value.  For "Type" of "String", you can type in the new value. 

Here are some that I think are interesting to change (and safe).  FYI, I'm running FF

3.6.


app.update.auto – whether FF automatically downloads and updates itself

 

browser.allTabs.previews – adds a button to the right of all the tabs, that when clicked will bring up a popup window showing thumbnails of all your open tabs.  Click a thumbnail to go to that tab.

browser.ctrlTab.previews – if true, then holding Ctrl and pressing Tab will bring up the same preview window as the the above browser.allTabs.previews except that it will show a configurable number of thumbnails, not all of them.  Then a link at the bottom of the popup allows you to show all open tabs which looks like the above option.  Enabling this option will also change FF default ctrl-tab behavior.  Instead of cycling thru all open tabs, a quick Ctrl-Tab will switch to the most recently visited tab.

browser.ctrlTab.mostRecentlyUsed – if you don't want the previews in the option above, but you do want ctrl-tab to go to the most recent tab rather than cycling thru them, then enabled this option

browser.blink_allowed – turns off annoying blinking links

browser.cache.* – various options for how your cache is handled, how much disk space it uses, etc.

browser.download.dir – where your downloads go by default (this can be set in the interface)

browser.download.manager.addToRecentDocs – whether a downloaded file gets added to your recent files list

browser.tabs.autohide – this option hides the tab bar when there is only one tab open

broswer.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent – if true, then new tabs open next to the "parent" tab.  if false, new tabs always open at the end

browser.taskbar.preview.enable – if you are on Win7, then if you have multiple tabs open, the hovering over the icon in the taskbar will show thumbnails of the open tabs (IE8 also does this by default).

browser.triple_click_selects_paragraph – just like it sounds. useful if you copy a lot of stuff from the web.

dom.max_script_run_time – how long javascript is allowed to run before FF pops up a warning (long running scripts are usually in error or something is wrong)

extensions.* – options related to any add-ons you have installed.  Some extensions may have options in other locations.  Also, FF doesn't appear to be very good about cleaning about:config up when you uninstall add-ons.

 

More to come …


 

Karen share even more FF tips with all of us. This is very useful stuff. Smile

The nice thing about FF is that when you type in "about:config" into the address bar FF drops down an entire list of "tweakable/chooseable goodies". Not just that but the goodies list is presented in a manner which is "plainspeak" so that even non-geeks can understand it.

The one you mentioned about turning off blinking is useful for those who are visually challenged!

The good thing is this syntax "about:config" also works for Opera 10.10. As of now I don't know if this syntax works for all browsers………at least the important ones.

Locutus – I guess you are a savvy Chrome user why don't you give us a "Karen Act" relating to Chrome? Smile

Others could do it for other browsers too

RameshSmile

March 6, 2010
8:31 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
7
0

Locutus said:

@Karen:  In the Wordpress admin page, do you see an option for a new post? You could write an article about those :D


 

I don't think I have access to the admin page.

March 6, 2010
8:42 PM
Ramesh Kumar
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 390
Member Since:
February 1, 2010
Offline
8
0

Laugh

This thread has a potential for delivering enormous benefits to dottechies within the next 4 to 8 weeks because:-

  1. It can improve FF experience for all dottechies
  2. It can improve member experience inside dottech even further
  3. It could help members with vision problems & maybe colour blindness as well

For us to draw full synergy out of this subject, it must however be a closed loop. I request that user feedback keeps coming back to this thread so that it helps our beloved webmaster too.

Since dottechies are across multiple platforms…….Windows, Macintosh & various Linux distros if our administrators monitor & bump this thread nicely it would deliver higher membership & better usership experience for our beloved blogsite.

The same recommendation holds true for browsers which are big boys in different countries………as we are rapidly getting members from newer countries too. On the Colour blindness thread I've provided a list of browsers, their userships & strengths worldwide.

I am requesting Ashraf, administrators & my dear dottech family to provide a knowledge pool across important web browsers – IE, FF, Opera, Safari.

RameshSmile

 

March 6, 2010
8:44 PM
Ramesh Kumar
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 390
Member Since:
February 1, 2010
Offline

Smile

Each one in dottech has special talents. Together a great family is made.

It is a relay race & not a 100 metre sprint. In my 35 days experience within our forum Ashraf, Locutus, amnesia &

Wheezer have awesome expertise in stoking a thread & keeping it moving without straying away from the subject.

I wish you wonderful people devote the energy to do it yet again on this highly synergistic subject. I hope you are convinced about it.

I intuit it would deliver even greater synergistic results over the forthcoming 4 to 8 weeks………both for dottechies & also for our beloved blogsite

Ramesh Smile

March 6, 2010
8:50 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
10
0

@Karen:  Everyone with an account has access to it.. up at the top of dotTech, press Manage.  This is the Wordpress Admin page.

Oh, the site that was :(
March 6, 2010
8:58 PM
Ramesh Kumar
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 390
Member Since:
February 1, 2010
Offline
11
0

Ashraf, Locutus, amnesia & davidroper! Smile

Awesome vision, awesome farsightedness & awesome proactivity. Trust me this kind of general management expertise is to be found only in CEO's & Chairmen who handle very large businesses!

What am I referring to; you ask? I refer to "Manage" at the top of this webpage. Smile

Man our beloved blogsite is gaining even more traction………and is cycling all the way to the top of the mountain…………..even more rapidly.

Wheezer aptly pointed out that our beloved blogsite is now No.2 in the world & is behind number 1 only by 1 vote. Smile

Vote guys vote. Let this not be like the advanced forum vote where only 13% of our members chose to vote. Guys I am not getting intrusive. This is only my affection speaking Smile

RameshSmile

March 6, 2010
9:07 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
12
0

Actually that "Manage" link is actually part of Wordpress, the software dotTech is built on… by default it's labeled "Site Admin".Laugh  And currently we're tied.

Oh, the site that was :(
March 7, 2010
7:14 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
13
0

Locutus said:

@Karen:  Everyone with an account has access to it.. up at the top of dotTech, press Manage.  This is the Wordpress Admin page.


 

I can get to the Admin page by clicking Manage, but it doesn't have any links to creating a post.

March 7, 2010
7:55 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886
Member Since:
February 19, 2009
Offline
14
0

oh, so you must not be able to… well you could head off to dotTech's Write for dotTech page that I totally forgot about until just now.

Oh, the site that was :(
March 8, 2010
4:20 AM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
15
0

Locutus said:

oh, so you must not be able to… well you could head off to dotTech's Write for dotTech page that I totally forgot about until just now.


 

I'll give it some thought.  Not sure what I would add to an article beyond what I already posted here though.

March 8, 2010
6:08 AM
Ramesh Kumar
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 390
Member Since:
February 1, 2010
Offline
16
0

Shhhh! Locutus & Karen! Shhhh! SmileSmile

Both of you smart people remind me of this mythological figure.

In this epic tale, this mythological figure never knew its own power till someone else told it. :)

Due to Netiquette I am unable to name the figure……….we obviously have a wide cross section of dottechies………atheists, theists, agnostics & followers of different religious & other practices across the world.

So Shhhh both of you! SmileSmile

Just pick up your pens & write. I intuit we can do a power of good if you guys write. Good "young" Wheezer is there to wield the baton to see that everyone is on track & on thread. With a little help from big 4 CoolCoolCoolCool (where is Ashraf btw) there can be quantum improvement over the coming 4 to 6 weeks.

So just pick up your pens Karen & Locutus…………..and write Smile

Ramesh Smile

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Posts: 16629

Newest Members: djfrosdick, njazrael71, kvsiva, ronny4desouza, JustinSilence, Cassielp0

Administrators: Ashraf (1799), Locutus (1886), amnesia (270)

Comments