IObit Security 360 -Review- | Reviews/Tutorials | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
IObit Security 360 -Review-
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
November 1, 2009
6:39 PM
ZionPercona
Novice
Forum Posts: 12

IObit Security 360 (IS360) is still pretty new, I guess some one should clear up the mess over it?

UI: IS360 goes with a good strategy on its UI. Simple, yet efficiunt. With 4 buttons on the side, overview, scan, protection, and tools, navigating is a breeze.

In the “overview” panel, you get a quick look over what's going on with IS360. You get your license type (Free or Professional), when your last update was, a scan button, a system analysis, and some options.

If you press the scan now button, it takes you to the scan panel, and starts a smart scan, which scans your system's core files. The Security Analysis, scans your systems with anything that can harm it, our invade your privacy.

The Scan Panel, is straight forward. It gives you three types of scans, smart, full, and custom. A smart scan is the equilavent of quick scans with other anti-malwares like MBAM. It scans your system's core files for anything infected.

Full scans scan your whole system.

Custom scans, scan paths and files that you define.

The protection panel allows you specify what real-time protection you want on or off (Free and Pro versions). Protection against known threats protects you against viruses, and other nasties in IS360's database. Protection against unknown threats, uses behaviour based scans against applications.

Turning off known protection gets IS360 snappy against you. Don't go turning off your anti-viruses real-time protection though, that gets you a snappy Windows Security center (which I'd prefer a snappy IS360). Turning off unknown protection doesn't really do anything, except turn it off.

The tools panel gives you some other options to protect your system. This contains, hijack scans, security holes, passive defense, unlock and delelte files, privacy sweep,system tune up (which takes you to download Advanced Systemcare), and the portable version (version 1.10+). Many of these tools aren't necessary to use, but allow you to further your security.

At the top of the IS360 windows, you get 3 other buttons. Quarintine, Update, and Settings. In quarintine you get what files are quarintined (this is also accessible through the settings button). The update button launches the IS360 update manager. This allows you to download the latest versions, and databases of IS360. The settings button takes us to the next section.

UI rating: 5 out of 5 Simple, and effective, slightly pleasing too.

Options and Customizability (real word?): The overall settings window isn't really intimidating to the casual user, but can be considered disappointing to a more well-faring user.

With a few main categories, General, Scan, Update, Protection, and User Interface, I'm a little disappointed. In General it gives you a few options, minimize when closed, start with Windows, more basic stuff.

In the scan section, it allows you to set what files to skip based on file size, quarintine options, and priority options.

If you have the pro version (you can obtain a one year license, this offer ends the 11th of November), you can customize your automatic scan settings here. You can specify a scheduled scan, scan when your computer is idle, or disable it completely. You can also specify which scan it uses during automatic scans.

You can also access what files are quarintined, by clicking “Quarintine”. This allows you to either restore them to your system, or delete them.

By clicking Ignore you can specify what files to ignore during scans.

In “Update” you can specify how IS360 updates itself. If you're using the free version, you can't really do much about this. You're limited to “Check for updates when program starts up”. If you've nabbed a pro license, you can update automatically, or at a scheduled time. You can also have balloon tips pop-up here. I'm not sure why this isn't in General though…

In the network section, all there is to do is specify a Proxy.

In Protection, you can set your level to “Recommended” or “High” (no custom). You can also specify whether to enable DOG (unknown threats).

In “User Interface” it gives you the option to set transparency, and your current language.

Settings/Customizability rating: 3/5

Basic aspects, but limited at some points.

Speed/Resource usage.

I'll start with resource usage. I have a Windows XP computer with 504 Megabytes of memory. Not a lot. Sitting idle, IS360 uses about 2 megs of RAM, and little to no CPU usage. In a smart scan, it uses up about 70 megs of memory, and CPU usage up to 80 percent or so. Full scans are similar.

Speed:

IS360 takes about 7 minutes for a smart scan on my computer. When I start a full scan, it takes about 20 minutes or so (with 22 GBs on my XP partition).

Speed rating: 4/5

Resource Usage rating: 5/5

Overall rating 4/5.

It's good, but it has some squabbles. For how new it is, I'd give it a thumbs up.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Newest Members: mohamed nobl, wertg, hensen007, Lindasa, SBONISO VALENTIA, crockhamtown

Administrators: Ashraf: 1799, Locutus: 1886, amnesia: 270

Comments