I have a new toy | Page 4 | Talk it up | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering
guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

    

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
I have a new toy
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 30, 2010
1:51 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
61
0

Locutus said:

calebstein said:

sean said:

no, no I haven't.


You should.  You can learn how at http://hackmyphone.wordpress.com/

 


You should've added an /selfpromotion to that. Wink

Ok, I will next time Laugh
It's me
May 30, 2010
4:05 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
62
0

no, i'm quite hapy with the default os. (listening to the shocked gasps of the crowd) Exactly what advantage do I get from jailbreaking?

 

(that was your opportunity for some selfpromotion.)

May 30, 2010
4:15 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
63
0

sean said:

no, i'm quite hapy with the default os. (listening to the shocked gasps of the crowd) Exactly what advantage do I get from jailbreaking?

 

(that was your opportunity for some selfpromotion.)


Basically, you are able to run any software you want, instead of just Apple approved.  You can install an app that replaces the default slide to unlock with an android-like lockscreen with the dots.  You can theme your device.  You can control your device from your computer.  You can replace the pages of icons with the wheel of categories.  You can make folders.  You can change the text in the status bar.  You can make your default browser something other than safari.  You can install a firewall.  You can use a better bluetooth to interact with devices like Wii Remotes.  You can browse the file-system.  You can view very detailed system information.  You can update your facebook or twitter by swiping down on the status bar.  You can install VLC4IPHONE, which is VLC, for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.  And you can install emulators.
It's me
May 30, 2010
4:18 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
64
0

okay, okay! that's a lot of stuff :P but isn't there the chance you'll brick it, and apple won't replace it? and i thought the ipod touch 3rd gen was a tethered jailbreak?

May 30, 2010
4:22 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
65
0

sean said:

okay, okay! that's a lot of stuff :P but isn't there the chance you'll brick it, and apple won't replace it? and i thought the ipod touch 3rd gen was a tethered jailbreak?


Chance to brick it: about 2.5%.  Fix: force into DFU mode and restore with iTunes.  Also, if you restore, Apple will never know.  And Spirit is untethered for all devices with OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and 3.2.
It's me
May 30, 2010
4:33 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
66
0

calebstein said:

sean said:

okay, okay! that's a lot of stuff :P but isn't there the chance you'll brick it, and apple won't replace it? and i thought the ipod touch 3rd gen was a tethered jailbreak?


Chance to brick it: about 2.5%.  Fix: force into DFU mode and restore with iTunes.  Also, if you restore, Apple will never know.  And Spirit is untethered for all devices with OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and 3.2.

 

2.5? that's reasonable. and what is DFU for the un-initiated? :p

 

I'll give it a go tonight when I get home, and i'll let you know what happens.

 

Also, do you know if it is possible to download files on the ipod using it's browser? i have enever tried -.- (and i don't have wireless internet)

May 30, 2010
4:42 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
67
0

sean said:

calebstein said:

sean said:

okay, okay! that's a lot of stuff :P but isn't there the chance you'll brick it, and apple won't replace it? and i thought the ipod touch 3rd gen was a tethered jailbreak?


Chance to brick it: about 2.5%.  Fix: force into DFU mode and restore with iTunes.  Also, if you restore, Apple will never know.  And Spirit is untethered for all devices with OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3, and 3.2.

2.5? that's reasonable. and what is DFU for the un-initiated? :p

 

I'll give it a go tonight when I get home, and i'll let you know what happens.

 

Also, do you know if it is possible to download files on the ipod using it's browser? i have enever tried -.- (and i don't have wireless internet)


DFU mode is like recovery mode, but better.  If you want to download files, you can download an app for that from Cydia.  Also, BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR DEVICE IN ITUNES BEFORE YOU GO HACKING IT!!!  That will ensure that if you do happen to be unlucky you won't be screwed.

You can download Spirit at http://spiritjb.com/

It's me
May 30, 2010
5:02 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
68
0

ah, a recovery mode, great! :)

 

Haha, the old catchphrase: there's an app for that. would you happen to know what app it is?

And while we are on the subject of apps, what apps do you reccomend, and will itunes recognise them, or do I need to sync with a seperate program.

Downloaded spirit, i'm doing it tonight. i really hope it works!

May 30, 2010
5:08 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
69
0

sean said:

ah, a recovery mode, great! :)

 

Haha, the old catchphrase: there's an app for that. would you happen to know what app it is?

And while we are on the subject of apps, what apps do you reccomend, and will itunes recognise them, or do I need to sync with a seperate program.

Downloaded spirit, i'm doing it tonight. i really hope it works!


About iTunes recognizing apps: it will recognize them, and allow you to move them around.  About syncing them: you will need an app from Cydia like AptBackup.  The problem with AptBackup for me was that after use, it deleted all of my regular app store apps, but kept their data in tact.  Just one more regular sync solved that problem.

But for apps I recommend, WinterBoard is a must, and so it ProSwitcher (or Backgrounder) and SBSettings.  You should also get Categories.  And if you've got a few bucks to spare, I'd recommend PogoPlank, FirewalliP, qTweeter, and iFile.

It's me
May 30, 2010
5:13 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
70
0

when you say a few bucks spare, i'm guessing you don't mean itunes credit :(

 

well, tonight will be interesting! and i guess we'd better stop the tangential hi-jack of this thread. Sorry Ebony!

May 30, 2010
5:16 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
71
0

sean said:

when you say a few bucks spare, i'm guessing you don't mean itunes credit :(

 

well, tonight will be interesting! and i guess we'd better stop the tangential hi-jack of this thread. Sorry Ebony!


No, you can't use iTunes on Cydia, otherwise Apple would know that you're jailbroken.  By a few bucks to spare, I mean either an amazon account or a paypal account, and either a facebook account, or a gmail account.

Yeah, now might be a good time to stop hijacking this thread Laugh

It's me
May 31, 2010
1:45 AM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
72
0

Arrg! it doesn't work! I jail broke it, and it's all good. but I have no wi-fi, so i got cyder, which downloads the apps, but refuses to move them to my ipod. help!

May 31, 2010
3:23 AM
Joji
Guest
73
0

Someone should make a video tutorial…

 

~Joji~

May 31, 2010
4:52 AM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878
Member Since:
November 1, 2009
Offline
74
0

You're not hijacking the thread. I started it talking about the iPad, so a jail breaking discussion is a reasonable side discussion. I probably won't do it, but it is still interesting to read about.

May 31, 2010
9:14 AM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
75
0

sean said:

Arrg! it doesn't work! I jail broke it, and it's all good. but I have no wi-fi, so i got cyder, which downloads the apps, but refuses to move them to my ipod. help!


Can you please provide some more details?  Is WiFi grayed out in settings, or will it just not connect?

If it is grayed out, I'm afraid I can not help much, but if it just won't connect, try holding the home and power buttons together until the devices turns off, and then boot it up again.  If that doesn't work, tap the arrow next to your wifi network in settings, and tap forget this network, and then hold the home and power buttons together until is shuts down, and boot it up again.  If that doesn't work, try resetting your router.  And if that doesn't work, you should go to some forums that specialize in iPod Touch problems.

It's me
May 31, 2010
2:39 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
76
0

oh no, i mean that i don't have wireless internet at home. at all. just a wired one. :/

May 31, 2010
3:26 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
77
0

sean said:

oh no, i mean that i don't have wireless internet at home. at all. just a wired one. :/


Oh, what a releif Laugh  I thought I had screwed up your device.

What OS do you have?  There should be a way to share your wired Internet wirelessly.  If you have Windows 7, you can try Connectify, which you can download at http://connectify.me/

It's me
May 31, 2010
4:58 PM
sean
Young One
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 7, 2010
Offline
78
0

Oh my god, that is the best program I have seen in ages. why aren't they charging for it? As son as I get home, i'm downloading that!

May 31, 2010
6:53 PM
calebstein
Grand Master
Forum Posts: 445
Member Since:
November 22, 2009
Offline
79
0

sean said:

Oh my god, that is the best program I have seen in ages. why aren't they charging for it? As son as I get home, i'm downloading that!


I just tested it, and it couldn't work better! Smile
It's me
May 31, 2010
7:21 PM
Joji
Guest
80
0

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

 

Back in Japan, we forgot the pass for the internet, so I couldn't use my awesome Asus gaming laptop that almost perfect except the Fn key and Ctrl key are reversed.

 

I emailed Asus once and they were so stupid that they said to use a specific program that can re-map keys on your keyboard. Well sound's great, but not really, because the program doesn't come with a Fn key re-mapper!

 

Well I guess I have to cope with the new layout for my COD4 game. :(

 

But the good news is that my home computer back in Japan can be the new internet hotspot for my laptops! Yay!

 

~Joji~

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
40 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 612

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 7523

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2192

Posts: 15804

Newest Members: ttech, dotte, ChelladuraiPalanisamy, hary, AlisaAlly, oxfordrecovery

Administrators: Ashraf (1741), Locutus (1886), amnesia (270)

Comments