Locked folder on desktop | Tech Support | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering
guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

    

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Locked folder on desktop
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 18, 2011
12:55 PM
ramonford
Novice
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
December 12, 2010
Offline
1
0

I have a locked empty folder on desktop labeled “Start Up” which resists all my attempts to permanently remove it.

I am able to remove it sometimes but it always comes back on reboot.

Some attempts will show a message “This is a systems folder and can not be removed etc etc.

 

Any advise please.

May 18, 2011
1:43 PM
Ashraf
Mr. Boss
Forum Posts: 1800
Member Since:
October 22, 2008
Offline
2
0

It sounds like you may have a virus. When did this start happening? Did you download/install anything new around that time?

May 18, 2011
10:20 PM
rodken
Novice
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
May 6, 2010
Offline
3
0

Hey ramonford, you mentioned “resists all my attempts” so I'm assuming you have tried many different ways, but if you haven't try removing it in safe mode, or try dragging it into the recycle bin, or try creating another folder and drag it into that then delete that one. Wierd why some attempts say it's a system folder when others don't? What happens when you right click, what's it say under Properties. You could also try soft that unlocks those stubborn files/folders but you also said sometimes.  If you can't get it resolved ask again with more details and I'm sure someone will be able to help, good luck.

May 19, 2011
12:40 AM
ramonford
Novice
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
December 12, 2010
Offline
4
0

Ashraf said:

It sounds like you may have a virus. When did this start happening? Did you download/install anything new around that time?


Thanks for reply Ashraf.

 

It started about 6/7 weeks ago, and yes I am always installing/un-installing new programs.

All my downloads are virus checked before installing.

I have checked for problems with CC, Malwarebyte and Hijack This  detected nothing.

There is nothing spefic that I can relate to when this locked file appeared.

 

Can you suggest any action to locate possible virus.

 

Thank you.

May 19, 2011
1:36 AM
ramonford
Novice
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
December 12, 2010
Offline
5
0

rodken said:

Hey ramonford, you mentioned “resists all my attempts” so I'm assuming you have tried many different ways, but if you haven't try removing it in safe mode, or try dragging it into the recycle bin, or try creating another folder and drag it into that then delete that one. Wierd why some attempts say it's a system folder when others don't? What happens when you right click, what's it say under Properties. You could also try soft that unlocks those stubborn files/folders but you also said sometimes.  If you can't get it resolved ask again with more details and I'm sure someone will be able to help, good luck.


Hi rodken thanks for advice.

 

Yes I have already tried the suggestions you mentioned, but no success.

On right clicking the folder I get the standard display, with today's date and the time of boot up.

The folder is zero byte size. I have also many times right clicked and used Unlocker 1.9.0 but no unlocking handle can be found.

I then get the message ” Start up is a systems folder  and is required for windows to run properly and can not be deleted”

Please could you give further details on “Soft” would like to try.

 

Thanks for help.

May 19, 2011
9:00 PM
rodken
Novice
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
May 6, 2010
Offline

Hey ramonford, I was gonna mention Unlocker which you already tried plus LockHunter and EMCO UnLock IT , but if Unlocker didn't work I doubt the others will.

Just curious when you try Unlocker what does it say under process path?

May 20, 2011
8:25 AM
ramonford
Novice
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
December 12, 2010
Offline
7
0

rodken said:

Hey ramonford, I was gonna mention Unlocker which you already tried plus LockHunter and EMCO UnLock IT , but if Unlocker didn't work I doubt the others will.

Just curious when you try Unlocker what does it say under process path?


First relevant message ” No locking handle found”

Then I change drop down box to “Delete”

Then small window labeled “Sucess “and message reads – “The object was deleted – window OK”

 

The folder has now been deleted from the desktop but reappears on  nnext reboot.

 

Hopes this may help.

May 24, 2011
5:04 PM
rodken
Novice
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
May 6, 2010
Offline
8
0

Sorry I haven't replied recently lots going on. I was actually meaning when you ran unlocker and in the interface the part that says Process path, but it doesn't matter much. I was thinking and should have mentioned it then that the folder may be placed under All Users. If it is you need to delete it from the Desktop directory under All Users, not sure what else it could be, will keep trying to figure it out though, and maybe someone else might know.

May 25, 2011
9:55 AM
ramonford
Novice
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
December 12, 2010
Offline
9
0

rodken said:

Sorry I haven't replied recently lots going on. I was actually meaning when you ran unlocker and in the interface the part that says Process path, but it doesn't matter much. I was thinking and should have mentioned it then that the folder may be placed under All Users. If it is you need to delete it from the Desktop directory under All Users, not sure what else it could be, will keep trying to figure it out though, and maybe someone else might know.


Thanks rodken.

 

I have checked all the users folders for start up and the only one is under my account name. Deleted this meny times but it always returns on reboot.

 

If do have any ideas Iwould be pleased to heare from you.

 

Thanks.

May 25, 2011
5:38 PM
Grantwhy
Nerd
Forum Posts: 58
Member Since:
March 29, 2010
Offline
10
0

maybe the folder is being created by one of the programs you have (and runs at startup)

you could try disabling most (I’d leave anti-virus and similar programs alone) of the programs your OS runs on startup and see if that stops the folder being created. If that works, you’d just have to re-enable programs one by one to see which one is creating the folder.

I don’t know your OS, but there should be quite a few utility programs around that will allow you to do that. (eg: you can even use CCleaner to disable startup programs : Tools > Startup)

hmmmm …… it may also be a Good Idea(tm) to wait for other people to comment on this suggestion. I’m a little worried that it might (in a worst case scenario) result in you OS not booting properly by disabling something that shouldn’t :-(

at the very least, check to see if you can disable / re-enable programs while in Safe Mode?

good luck

as a CareBear Anarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
June 4, 2011
10:47 AM
rodken
Novice
Forum Posts: 36
Member Since:
May 6, 2010
Offline
11
0

Hey ramonford did you ever get this figured out?

August 25, 2012
11:30 AM
ramonford
Novice
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
December 12, 2010
Offline
12
0

rodken said
Hey ramonford did you ever get this figured out?

Well I didn’t work it out myself but, I did an update of FF and added some extra add-ons and it just vanished.

 

Don’t know what/ where or why – must be black magic !!!!!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
35 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Posts: 16629

Newest Members: riviere, Skhandisa, RodneySharon, Noamansin0, obvioh, niejun334

Administrators: Ashraf: 1799, Locutus: 1886, amnesia: 270

Comments