Microsoft Office 2003 won't update. | Tech Support | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Microsoft Office 2003 won't update.
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
November 10, 2009
3:41 AM
4624Raymond
Essex. UK
Novice
Forum Posts: 2

I have this on my system and up till recently it was updating, and as far as I recall the prog. has been validated by MS. I have app 7 updates that won’t install. I read somewhere recently, that this may have been caused by an over zealous registry cleaner.

I am running XP pro, and do not have the disc for Office, as program was pre installed.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

November 10, 2009
1:34 PM
Evan
Novice
Forum Posts: 7

You are certainly correct in that you could have a registry issue.  I've had to delete a couple of registry entries that were causing Microsoft Update to fail but this sounds more like you just can't update Office when you already have the updates downloaded.

The more info you can give (errors, what you downloaded, etc…) the better.  Until then, give this a read (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498).

I'd look at removing the update folder and also looking at manually downloading the updates.  Those tend to work better than automatic update.

If I come across more or if you can provide more info I'll see what I can find.  That was just the first (and actually pretty good) KB article I found.  Give that stuff a try and let me know how it goes.

-Evan

November 10, 2009
2:38 PM
leland
Novice
Forum Posts: 17

There is another reason updates can stop working; that is if you have a product key that has been marked as stolen or something similar. Once this happens you would have to contact Microsoft to prove it is a mistake. They would most likely provide a new key at that point.

November 11, 2009
5:23 PM
BAMS007
Novice
Forum Posts: 1

I have experienced this problem several times (running Vista Home Premium SP2) and the only workaround that has resolved the issue for me has been to [1] manually download the updates (based on KB#) from Microsoft and [2] install the update (use run as Administrator option) separately from the 'Windows Update' process.

The common factor that I've noticed in the updates that fail (always for Office 2003), is that when I install from the manual download I am presented with the option to 'review/accept' the Microsoft Software License Terms and must [3] accept the terms to complete the installation.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
34 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Newest Members: MonicaSocha, adityamathurji, johnsmithh43, terryWheel, EdwardAdamczyk, liobumn

Administrators: Ashraf: 1799, Locutus: 1886, amnesia: 270

Comments