Some of you dotTechies may recall I had trouble booting windows last year. Today, something went wrong, and I don't know what happened. Here's what happens when I try to load up vista:
- I turn on my computer
- I am greeted with my “Windows Boot Loader”. On this list are Windows Vista and Ubuntu.
- Choosing Vista, I am fowarded to another screen. This screen is a big message saying something along the lines of “You fail at life” “Windows failed to boot properly. Run the Repair tool, and if that doesn't work, run it from the disk that came with your windows.”
- On this screen, there are two options. The repair tool, which doesn't work and I am prompted to insert the original Windows disk (which sucks because my computer came preloaded). The other is “start windows normally”.
- It looks great as I choose “start normally”. I get the loading screen, with the bar going back and forth.
- Now my troubles begin. The loading screen disappears, leaving a glaring message saying something along the lines of “windows chkdsk cannot be found. this could be due because of a recent hardware change…[blah, blah blah]” After ten seconds or so, everything goes black. [Go back to step 2 and repeat]
Ubuntu works though, so I am able to connect to the internet and post this desperate plea for help.
So, Windows seems to boot, but it looks like my chkdsk is the problem. Can anyone help me?
The normal route to fixing this issue would be to use a Windows installation disc. Do any of your friends have the same version (bit & model) of Vista as you (ie, 32-bit Home Premium)?
EDIT: forgot to say, something similar happened to me during my vacation in the summer. My laptop (w/ Windows 7) suddenly stopped working, and upon startup it would say that Windows couldn't be started. The only fix to it I had was to find another Windows 7 home premium 64-bit computer (about ~30 feet away luckily) and make a repair disc (~$5.00 and 20km away). It took two weeks to get the blank CD. :(
October 22, 2008
Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 11
Newest Members: qilgvaz, vimalrai, Anne2, ilenegarza, jamesfoley16, Johncena
Administrators: Ashraf: 1799, Locutus: 1886, amnesia: 270