Warning: fopen(/home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-cache/sp-plugin-scripts-footer.js): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-plugins.php on line 745

Warning: fopen(/home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-cache/sp-plugin-styles-all.css): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/dottech/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-plugins.php on line 534

Samsung GT-I5801 | Tech Support | Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Samsung GT-I5801
Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
September 27, 2010
6:20 AM
o(o.o)o
Novice
Forum Posts: 35

I've never been a fan of all these smartphones, androids etc. For the most part, i only use my phone to call and send some sms to friends etc. and have never had the need to play mp3's or view films using my phone or even play games on it. My old skul of thought says use a dedicated gadget for those.

But sadly Laugh, my sister gave me a Samsung GT-I5801 a couple of days ago and I have to use it instead of my aging nokia "dumb" phone. So after fiddling with it and learning the basics (phone calls and text messaging), I'm still at a loss as to how to browse to an online page using it. Moreover, the greater question in my mind is how secure am I and my credentials when I browse and login to websites using the Samsung? Seeing that android is a linux kernel, is there some sort of repository of applications I can go to for some freebie apps for the phone, say perhaps a functional calendar and scheduler minus the google account login? Also, is there an app I can use for synchronizing contacts etc? The phone includes a CD which I presume installs a program which has to do with something like that but I'd prefer something that's non-proprietary and doesn't bog down my computer with all those drivers and services. Learned my lesson well with nokia suite Embarassed.

Sorry about the newbie questions but obviously, I'm not really into these kinds of phones and I'm guessing it'll take quite a while for the new tech(?) to sink in.

September 27, 2010
4:11 PM
karen
Washington, DC Metro Area
dotTechie
Forum Posts: 878

All the smart phones have browsers that support SSL. So as long as you are going to websites with https:, you are as protected as using your regular pc's browser.

I don't know anything about Android phones though. Here's a forum that you can try that will probably get you faster answers: http://forum.androidcentral.com/

September 27, 2010
4:42 PM
Locutus
Guru
Forum Posts: 1886

There should be an application called the Android Market that you can use.  That'll have other apps you can use.

Oh, the site that was :(
September 28, 2010
8:47 AM
o(o.o)o
Novice
Forum Posts: 35

@karen

That looks to be a great site for customizations and stuf for an android phone. Thanks for the link.Smile

@Locutus

Found the applet or widget for that says "Market" so I'm assuming that's what you meant. I'm still hesitant on logging on to my google account and getting online using the phone so I'll save that for later when I'm more knowledgeable.

Can't seem to find a non-bloated software for synching so I guess I'll be stuck with Samsung Kies for the phone. Frown Byebye fast bootups, hello bloated desktop Cry.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
38 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

phoenix_rising: 899

karen: 878

Wheezer: 786

yourpalal: 647

PCbasics: 614

ebony: 548

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 11

Members: 9777

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 2601

Newest Members: WilliamEisenman, ElizabethAndy, DavidWhitaker, julydiba, annettepablo, bejones

Administrators: Ashraf (1799), Locutus (1886), amnesia (270)

Comments