The HTC Desire 601 is a mid-range Android handset which features a 4.5 inch qHD display, 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon 400 processor, 1 GB RAM, a 5 Megapixel camera, 8 GB of internal storage coupled with a microSD card slot, and comes with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on board. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial which will walk you through the process of installing CWM Recovery and rooting your HTC Desire 601.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful how to. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device or flash custom recovery at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty. Flashing custom recovery may void your warranty.
This guide is intended for the HTC Desire 601 running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Please do not try it with any other models. You can check your device model by going to Settings > About Device on your phone, or by checking the labels on the packaging box.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
A few things to be ready with before you go ahead and root your device:
- Download and install HTC Drivers 
- Unlock your device bootloader by visiting the official HTCDev site 
- Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot . Install it on your PC
- Download CWM Recovery Image . Place the philz_touch_6.12.8-zara.img file in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder in your Program Files directory
- Download SuperSU zip and transfer it to the external SD card on your phone
How To Root HTC Desire 601 And flash CWM
- Turn off your phone
- Reboot to Bootloader by pressing Volume Down + Power
- From the bootloader menu, select Fastboot (Use Volume Rocker to scroll, and Power button to Select)
- On your PC, launch Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Connect the phone to PC via USB data cable
- Type in the following command to flash CWM recovery on your phonefastboot flash recovery philz_touch_6.12.8-zara.img
- Once done, disconnect the phone and power it off
- Now reboot to bootloader mode again by pressing Volume Down + Power
- This time, scroll to Recovery and select it
- You should now boot into CWM Recovery
- Select Install Zip, and on the next screen Choose Zip
- Select the CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip file that you had transferred earlier to your external SD card
- Confirm the flash on the next screen
- Wait till CWM flashes the SuperSU zip
- Once done, go back to the main menu and reboot your phone
- When the phone boots up, launch SuperSU from the app drawer and update the binaries if prompted
Congratulations!! Your HTC Desire 601 is now fully rooted, along with CWM Touch recovery installed. You can now install different root apps, and even try out some custom ROMs on your rooted phone. Cheers!!