Skype still remains as one of today’s best instant messaging tools but what if you no longer see a reason to keep using it? What if you want to create a new account and permanently deactivate your old account? Is there any way for you to delete your Skype account?
The answer is yes. It’s possible but it’s not a one-click process. So if you really want to delete your Skype account without any option for recovery or whatsoever, here’s what you need to do.
How to delete your Skype account
- Using your web browser, click this link  to sign in to your Skype account. Make sure that you remember your Skype Name and password.
- Once you’re logged in, scroll down to “Account Details” then choose “Edit Profile”.
- On your “Personal Information” page, replace every entry with either “qwerty” or “xxx”. Your objective here is to delete all personal information that you’ve entered in your account. This includes your name, gender, birthday, language, city, country, mobile number, personal description, etc.
- Once you’re done, click “Save”.
- After which, do not forget to replace your primary email address with a dummy (fake) email like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Set the dummy email as your primary email then delete your actual email.
- It would also be best for you to change your Skype password.
- Moving on, what you need to do next is to manually request for a Skype Name deletion. If you do not request for a Skype Name deletion, then anyone can still search for your account in the Skype directory by simply typing your username.
- So if you want to fully delete your account, click here  to contact the Skype customer support service. You can request for a Skype name deletion via email or live chat. If you choose the live chat option, just send your request to the customer support representative. The support representative will then ask you a few questions like the Skype Name that you want to delete as well as your reason for deleting your account.
- It will only take a few minutes for the representative to process your request. You will get a confirmation as soon as it’s done.
So that’s it. Once your Skype Name has been deleted, you can no longer sign in to your account.