Sprint subscribers to the LG G3 (LS990) smartphone have a new way to root their devices running Android 5.X Lollipop. The ‘X’ means that it should work for those running any version of Lollipop and not just restricted to either 5.0.1, 5.0.2 or 5.1 etc. We’ll also show you how to flash the TWRP custom recovery so you are ready to install a custom ROM, take a NANDroid backup and more. Here’s how:
- You need the LG G3 with model number LS990. If you don’t know what your model number is you can navigate to Settings > About Device and check.
- You want your LG G3 smartphone to be running a version of Android Lollipop. Check your device sits on Android 5.0-5.1 from the same About Device menu as mentioned above.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- It’s best to install the LG USB Drivers on a Windows PC before starting the guide. Once done, you’ll need to reboot the same PC with the drivers on it to get those working.
- You should understand that rooting is voiding the warranty. That means you can’t send it away for free repairs. You can, however, still get people to help you with problems if you pay.
- Turn on the G3 smartphone and navigate to Settings . Developer Options > USB Debugging and check the box so USB Debugging is now on. Can find the Developer Options? Unlock it by tapping on the build number seven times.
- Go to Settings . Security > Enable the Unknown Sources option so you can download the app from our source.
HOW TO ROOT LG G3 LS990 ON ANDROID LOLLIPOP AND INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY
- Download the One-Click package .
- Extract the above file to the desktop of the computer by right-clicking and selecting extract here.
- Double click your mouse on the .bat file that’s inside.
- You’ll now be presented with some on-screen instructions that look like they are from the Command prompt. Follow those to finish rooting your G3.
- Now you have that, it’s time to flash the TWRP recovery.
- Download the Lollipop Recovery Installer  direct to the smartphone.
- Wait for the download to complete and open it from the app drawer.
- Inside you have two options with Lollipops on a stick. The top option will flash the TWRP recovery.
- The bottom button will return you to the stock recovery. Use that when you want to unroot it.