Even though most people are all too aware of the Android M Developer preview available for registered developers, there’s no need to worry about losing Android Lollipop just yet for most because the next version of Android will take many months until it rolls out to most devices. The Samsung Galaxy S5 won’t get it as quickly as the Galaxy S6 since it isn’t as new, and on top of that, Sammy aren’t usually at the top of the Mountain View companies list when it comes to software updates.
If you own the Samsung Galaxy S5 with model number G8900F and have updated to the official Android 5.0 Lollipop software update, we still advise you root it as no future Android M is within sight.
- Only use this guide if you have 5.0 Lollipop. We cannot be sure this guide works for future updates including Android M or even Android 5.1 Lollipop.
- Only flash the files in this guide if you have the G900F variant in your hands as the other versions require different files. You don’t want to wind up bricking your smartphone.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers  direct to the Windows PC. We suggest rebooting the PC to get those drivers working and then continuing on with the guide. You can bookmark this page and come back to it.
- You are tripping Knox following this guide and voiding the warranty.
- Unlock the Developer Options > Settings > About Device > Tap the build number 7 times.
- Navigate back to the Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging inside. Now you are ready to connect to the computer.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY G900F RUNNING ANDROID 5.0 LOLLIPOP
- Download the rooting file  to the Windows PC desktop.
- Download Odin  to the desktop.
- Right-click over the files and select “extract here” and you should see the executable files inside.
- Run the Odin app and leave it there.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S5 to download mode .
- Connect the S5 to the same computer as the files you extracted above.
- Click the PDA button inside Odin.
- Upload the rooting file that you extracted above.
- Do not touch any of the default settings inside Odin.
- Click the start button and Odin will do the rest.
- The S5 handset should reboot and you are ready top take opver your Google account once again.