The Motorola Moto X Play is another version of the Moto X that launched during August of this year. Coming with Android 5.1 Lollipop out of the box, the Motorola Moto X Play is now able to be rooted on the same software version. So, if you are running Android 5.1 Lollipop, you can read the guide below to learn how to root the Motorola Moto X Play in just a few minutes.
Before rooting the Motorola Moto X Play, you need to unlock the bootloader of the Motorola Moto X. Furthermore, just like many other rooting methods for Android devices, you must install a custom recovery on the Motorola Moto X Play. You can read out guide and learn how to install TWRP recovery on the Motorola Moto X Play .
- The following guide is only made to root the Motorola Moto X Play and no other device from the Motorola range. Likewise, we can only vouch for this working with the current Android 5.1 Lollipop software update. The current exploit might get patched in future updates — though we don’t yet know.
- Head to the Settings > About Device and check that your device matches up with the model number XT5162. That’s the easiest way to tell if your device is suitable or not. Do not follow this guide if your model number is different.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Applying the following steps during the guide will void the warranty on your Motorola Moto X Play. Once you learn how to unroot the Moto X Play, you should get those important warranty rights back again.
- Download the Motorola USB Drivers  for mobile phones form our page. Scroll down the page until you get t the Motorola name.
- You must unlock the Motorola Moto X Play Bootloader before following this guide.
HOW TO ROOT THE MOTOROLA MOTO X PLAY ON ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP
- Download the SuperSU package from Chainfire’s webpage here .
- Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader to get root access, and then install a custom recovery on your Motoroola Moto X  Play smartphone.
- Now transfer the SuperSU file from the computers desktop to the internal storage SD card.
- Disconnect the Moto X Play from the computer.
- Completely power off your device.
- Reboot it into the custom recovery you already installed by using these keys: Volume Down + Power.
- Navigate to the “install’ option from the recovery mode menu.
- Browse the internal storage SD card and confirm ot install the SuperSU file to finish rooting the Motorola Moto X.
- Now head back to the main recovery menu after you’ve installed the SuperSU, and choose to reboot the system now.
As soon as the operating system reboots, you are free to start checking out any custom ROMs that might be available for your Moto X Play smartphone. Furthermore, since you have installed a custom recovery, you can enter that recover using the same Volume Down + Power key combination and install custom ROM zip files.
All done! Hopefully you enjoy having root on the Motorola Moto X Play smartphone.