Smartwatches were often dubbed nothing more than a gimmick by many after they first arrived in stores, but since then they have done enough to look like they have a future on our wrists. The LG G Watch is one of the best smartwatches you can buy. With it you can check your social media accounts for new updates and messages, check your emails and other convenient tasks associated with your daily lives.
Just like with our Android smartphones, the Android Wear smartwatch lineup runs an Android operating system. The Android OS on our smartwatches has the same upside as that of a smartphone if you root the device. You should be able to install many of the same apps without much trouble at all.
Here is how to root your LG G Watch:
- The following guide works for the LG G Watch only. Do not follow these same steps on any other smartwatch that is part of the Android Wear range.
- You must unlock the bootloader before you can root the G Watch; we are showing you how to get that part done during the guide, so you do not need to source any additional information.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Understand that during the guide when we instruct you to use the command prompt, you must press the Enter key on the keyboard to execute the commands.
- You are choosing to void the LG warranty you might have had on the G Watch smartwatch. You can unroot and re-lock the bootloader to get those working again.
HOW TO ROOT LG G WATCH SMARTWATCH
- Download the script tool for your G Watch from this XDA Developers page .
- Extract the file on your desktop by first shifting it to the desktop and then right-clicking over the file and selecting the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Download ADB on your Windows PC and install the same.
- Open the ADB folder after you install it and hold the Shift key while right-clicking the mouse to bring up a new menu.
- Choose to open a new command prompt window from that menu.
- Connect the LG G Watch to the computer using the USB cable.
- Type the first command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your smartwatch will now reboot in the required bootloader mode to unlock.
- Type the next command:
fastboot oem unlock
- The G Watch will now have the bootloader unlocked in a few moments.
- Now you are going to root the device by executing this next command in the command line:
fastboot boot LGGW-rootboot.img
- Check the display of the smartwatch for a notification and tap on the option for “always allow”.
- Type another command in the command prompt window:
- Finally, finish by typing the last command:
- You should see “root@dory and a # symbol”, signifying that your LG G Watch is now rooted.
You are ready to start taking advantage of all the privileges you get with rooting a device. Sometimes people have regrets though, and want to return the device back to the way it was before they started. For all those times, you will want to know how to unroot the LG G Watch and lock the bootloader so it is the way it was when you first opened the device out of the box.