These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500F smartphones running on the Android 5.0.2 software update which you can update over-the-air or manually with the Odin flash tool. Everyone running 5.0.2 should have no problem using this guide.
- You can follow this guide if you have the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone with the SM-A500F model number. Do not follow this guide if you have any of the other model number in the Samsung Galaxy A5 range of devices. You can easily found out what your Samsung model number is by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- The CF-Auto-Root exploit found in this guide is based on the Android 5.0.2 software update and the LRX22G.A500FXXU1BOK2 firmware build number. It does not mean you have to be running that firmware. It does, however, mean you should use it as an indicator when assessing your own. Some of the older Samsung devices do not boot up the older images.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers  for your Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone and install them on the Windows computer.
- Some of you Samsung Galaxy A5 device owners might need to unlock the Developer Options menu if you have not yet done that before. You unlock the hidden menu by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device and then tap where it says the Build Number 7 times. It should count you down when you have two times remaining and then it will tell you that you are now a developer when it reaches zero.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the A5 handset by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY A5 SM-A500F RUNNING ANDROID 5.0.2
- Download the Galaxy A5 SM-A500F CF-Auto-Root package from this link .
- Download the Odin 3.09 flash tool from this link .
- Extract the files on the desktop of the computer by right-clicking on the files and picking the “extract here” from the menu.
- Click on the Odin executable file that’s on the desktop and the Odin app will open up on the computer.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone and reboot it in download mode .
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone to the computer by using the USB cable.
- Click the PDA or the AP button your can see from the Odin app on the computer.
- Browse your desktop of the A5’s tar.md5 file that is on the desktop.
- Do not make any changes to the default settings from the Odin user-interface.
- Click the Start button and the Odin app will now flash that rooting exploit on your Galaxy A5 which will install SuperSU.
- Glance over at your Samsung Galaxy A5 smartphone and wait until it says it is about to reboot.
- The Galaxy A5 will now automatically reboot to recovery mode — this is an important step and without it the A5 won’t be rooted.
- Once your device is in recovery mode you can choose to reboot the device back in normal mode and you are good to go.
Anyone who does not see the Samsung Galaxy A5 device boot into the recovery mode will need to do that manually by holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons when booting the device.