Installing TWRP recovery on your HTC One E8 smartphone will replace the stock recovery until you decide to flash the stock version back on the device in the future. Until that day comes, your new custom recovery has a few handy tricks up its sleeve that will allow you to do more than you could with your stock recovery. For starters, you get the ability to upload zip files, which is commonly exploited to upload custom ROMs and custom kernels. many also love using the NANDroid Backup feature that is completed by tapping on the ‘backup’ button from the main custom recovery menu.
- You must unlock the bootloader of the HTC One E8 smartphone before you can install a custom recovery on the device.
- You must have the HTC One E8 that is stamped with Sprint’s branding to use this guide. Each carrier network will have a unique model number and the one you can flash the file in this guide is the Sprint version only. Find out your model number and then confirm it by heading to the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Understand that by unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery on your HTC One E8 smartphone by Sprint will void the warranty on both occasions. We are not teaching you how to unlock the bootloader during this guide; that is done by using other guides you can find from the homepage of Google.
- You will likely need to unlock the hidden Developer Options menu on your E8 handset by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON HTC ONE E8 FOR SPRINT SUBSCRIBERS
- Download the TWRP package for the Sprint One E8 from this link .
- Extract the TWRP package on the desktop of the computer by right-clicking > extract there.
- Rename the recovery file for your E8 to something you can remember like recovery.img
- Set up adb on your Windows computer and keep the adb folder open.
- Copy the TWRP file over to the same folder as your adb and leave the folder open.
- From within that same folder we spoke of above with the TWRP and adb, hold down the Shift key and right-click the mouse to bring up a new menu on the desktop — it only works if you do it where there is no files in the folder.
- Choose to “open a new command window here” from that new menu.
- Leave the command prompt open on the computer and continue to the next step.
- Connect the HTC One E8 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Type the first command in the command prompt:
adb reboot bootloader
- The HTC One E8 smartphone will now reboot in bootloader mode.
- Type the next command to install the recovery:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Type the last command:
Sometimes your HTC One E8 might replace the custom recovery with the stock recovery during the first boot. For all those times, you should use Google  and find out the correct button combination to reach recovery mode on the HTC One E8 and apply those buttons when you are issuing your final command “fastboot reboot” during the guide. You should find the custom recovery now stays on your device.