[Windows] Convert videos and rip DVDs/Blu-rays with Aiseesoft Media Converter UltimateApril 14, 2013 1 Email article | Print article
As evidenced by dotTech’s review on best free video and audio converters for Windows, there are plenty of excellent free audio/video converters out there. However, some people may not be satisfied with a freeware converter. If you are one of those people, then Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate wants your business. Let’s see if it is worth it.
What is it and what does it do
Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate is an all-in-one audio converter, video converter, DVD ripper, and Blu-ray ripper.
- Supports video -> video, video -> audio, and audio -> audio conversions
- Supports HD, SD, 2D, and 3D videos
- Can rip DVDs (DVD disc, DVD folder, or IFO) and Blu-rays (Blu-ray disc and Blu-ray folder) and convert to other video formats
- Supports many input and output formats (see chart to right for more details)
- Supports many electronic devices, including iPhone 5 and latest iPad (see chart to right for more details)
- Supports batch processing.
- Not only does it support batch processing but input files can be outputted to different profiles and customized individually. In other words, you don’t need to convert input files to the same output format/settings.
- Allows basic edits of input files: add watermark (text or image), clip, crop, and adjust properties (volume, contrast, brightness, hue, saturation, deinterlacing)
- Allows users to customize output file settings, if desired (e.g. resolution, bitrate, codec, etc.)
- Can convert 2D videos to 3D
- Can merge input files together
- Supports NVIDIA Cuda and AMD APP GPU acceleration
- Can make use of multiple cores of CPU
- Has the ability to automatically shutdown computer after processing
- Performs well: good output quality (uses FFmpeg) and fast conversions (because it can make use of multiple cores and GPU acceleration)
- Unknown if DRM protection/region locks are bypassed when ripping DVD/Blu-ray. As per my tests, DRM protection/region locks are not bypassed.
- No “keep original resolution” option for output videos (however, you can manually customize the output resolution to match input resolution)
- Is. Extremely. Slow. In. Loading. DVDs/Blu-rays. Took almost 15 mins just to load my DVD into the program, reading each IFO at a time; that is simply loading into the program, not converting or ripping. The sad part is, after spending 15 mins reading my DVD, it told me not a valid file.
- Support for mobile devices is lacking for anything that isn’t Apple (e.g. no Galaxy S III profile)
- Can rip DVDs/Blu-rays to VOB/TS but not to ISO or DVD folder/Blu-ray folder meaning you won’t be able to re-burn completely loselessly, if you ever want to re-burn
Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate is your stereotypical excellent audio/video converter; it supports many input formats, supports many output formats, has support for specific electronic devices, allows for basic edits of input files, supports batch processing, and works very well (fast and good output quality). Where Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate falls flat on its face is ripping DVDs/Blu-rays.
One of the features Aiseesoft advertises for Media Converter Ultimate is its ability to rip/convert DVDs/Blu-rays to other video formats. Unfortunately, Aiseesoft provides absolute no information on if DRM protection/region locks are bypassed for DVDs/Blu-rays. Being able to bypass DRM protection/region locks is absolute key for DVD/Blu-ray rippers because, simply put, 95% of DVDs/Blu-rays people will want to rip/convert will be DRM protected.
I looked on both Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate’s homepage and its Help file; there is no mention of bypassing DRM protection. In fact, the homepage says “rip home BD” and “convert personal DVD” which could be interpreted as meaning DRM protection/region locks cannot be bypassed — only homemade/personal DVDs and Blu-rays or commercial move DVDs/Blu-rays without DRM protection can be ripped. Furthermore, Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate is unable to load my DRM-protected (CSS) DVD, which means the program probably cannot bypass DRM protection/region locks.
Conclusion and download link
Without the ability to bypass DRM protection/region locks for DVDs and Blu-rays, Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate is a glorified video/audio converter. A great video/audio converter, yes, but nothing special when you consider how there are dozens upon dozens of excellent freeware video/audio converters.
Our recommendation is to not bother with Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate. Why pay $49.99 for a video/audio converter when you can get the same functionality for $0? Instead of Aiseesoft Media Converter Ultimate, we recommend checking out dotTech’s review on best free video and audio converters for Windows and picking one of the programs mentioned there.
Furthermore, if you want real DVD/Blu-ray ripping (i.e. a program that can copy/rip DVDs or Blu-rays and bypass DRM protection/region locks), then check out DVDFab HD Decrypter or BDlot DVD ISO Master. DVDFab HD Decrypter copies DVD discs -> DVD folders and Blu-ray discs -> Blu-ray folders while BDlot DVD ISO Master does DVD discs -> ISOs and DVD folders -> ISO. Both programs are free and both bypass DRM protection/region locks.
Version reviewed: 6.3.58
Supported OS: Windows XP/Vista/Win7/Win8
Download size: 25.6 MB
VirusTotal malware scan results: 0/46
Is it portable? No