Security is a primary concern for anyone who uses the Internet, but most of us don’t do enough to protect ourselves. Most of us choose convenience over security precautions, favoring speed and ease of access to our devices at the expense of guarding our personal information. What most iOS users are looking for is an app that secures your data, media, and communication that is simple and comprehensive. CoverMe may just be that app.
What is it and what does it do
CoverMe is the “ultimate secure messaging app” providing safe and fun sharing of private messages, photos, and videos. The app also features an impenetrable “vault” for protecting your personal contacts, call logs, messages, and sensitive media from prying eyes.
- Military-grade message encryption, plus the ability to remotely wipe messages you’ve sent to other devices
- Embed a “self-destruct” into a message to ensure it is destroyed after being read
- Encrypt your contacts
- Phone number verification is no longer required to join CoverMe. You can skip the phone number verification, and activate CoverMe instantly!
- Share private photos & videos safely
- Passcode protection (including decoy password)
- Automatic photo-capture of intruders
- Unlike many similar apps, you can have a numeric passcode that’s longer than 4 digits (4-16 digits are acceptable)
- In-app directions for creating hidden contacts or other in-app functions are clearly explained
- CoverMe doesn’t offer any sort of password recovery or reset functionality: that might comfort some, but it is certain to frustrate some other users
- You will need to invite hidden contacts to get CoverMe if you want to make secure calls to them or send private messages to them.
- Data usage tracked in the app only monitors data on your cell network, not on Wi-Fi
I really enjoy the user interface and design aesthetic of CoverMe, and it is simple to find what you’re looking for. The colors are relaxing, and makes you feel more secure simply by virtue of the color palette. But I digress: let’s get down to brass tacks.
My favorite feature of CoverMe is the messaging nerve center. Your messages can self-destruct after they have been read by your recipient. You will immediately know when the recipient has read your messages, and you can also recall messages you sent to the wrong person by accident.
We’ve all accidentally sent embarrassing things to the wrong person via text: having the ability to “undo” your past is a major coup. I also love being able to know when my messages have been received: now you can know for sure whether a person you’ve texted hasn’t got back to you because they legitimately didn’t get your message yet, or because they are intentionally ignoring you.
I do wish it was possible to send encrypted content to others who don’t also have CoverMe on their phone. However, CoverMe is free to download and free to use, and has no locked or hidden features that require paid upgrades. Best of all: no lame ads!
Conclusion and download link
If you want to do more to lock down your personal messages, phone calls, and media, CoverMe has…well…got you covered. Despite a few minor points worth quibbling over, this iOS security app is great for the paranoid, the aspiring secret agent, or anyone who works in a field where discretion is key.
Version reviewed: 1.0.2
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, iOS version 5.0 or later
Download size: 11.3 MB