The Google Nexus 6 is the phone to own if you are an avid fan of the Mountain View company if you like keeping up to date in the mobile world because Google always look after it before anything else. Well, almost anything: they will sometimes update their other devices prior to focusing on the nexus 6. Today is no different as the aforementioned handset is finding a new 5.1 Lollipop update rolling out over the air. if you have already installed the latest Lollipop OTA on your device and want to open up the ports with root access, you should check the guide after the jump.
- You need to download the Motorola USB drivers since it is the “Hello Moto” company who made this device. That way you shouldn’t have any issues with getting the following method to work.
- You need to download Android SDK and setup ADB and fastboot on Windows. You can read our guide on how to do that while it’s open in another window and keep the guide open to continue when you are done.
- You also need to download SuperSU version 2.46 to the desktop of the computer.
- Download fastboot from here for Windows.
- Lastly, get your mitts on the TWRP recovery file.
HOW TO ROOT THE MOTOROLA/GOOGLE NEXUS 6 RUNNING ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP LMY47E BUILD
- Connect the Motorola Nexus 6 to the Windows computer with the USB cable.
- Transfer the SuperSU zipped file over to the internal SD card storage on the Nexus 6 handset.
- Keep the smartphone connected to the computer.
- Boot the nexus 6 to fastboot or bootloader mode by holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
- Navigate to the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on the PC.
- Click a white space and hold down the SHift key, now select to open the Command Prompt.
- Type the following command into the Window:
- Fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-shamu.img
- Choose the recovery mode option from the screen on your device.
- Now that you are inside recovery you want to flash the SuperSU.
- Go to the “flash zip from SD card” and upload the SuperSU package.
- Go back to the main recovery screen after it’s finished installing and choose to reboot the system now.
You are all done! You might be interested in installing SetCPU from Google Play; one of the many applications available for you.